Help I have mold!

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found mold in the ski locker. Two seasons ago, before I started storing under a covered storage unit, my boat cover must have leaked during the winter. The boat interior was dry until I opened the ski locker. That is when I found it had standing water in it. I got the water out and clean it out but there was some mold left behind on the carpeting in the ski locker.

It is dry now and has remained dry since I found it. My question is:
1. Do I need to get the mold out of the carpeting?
2. Is there risk of damage to my floor and stringers?

Thanks!

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help I have mold!

there is mold and mildew treatments for house carpets, I wouldn't think it would bother the wood parts

You can always make a test spot first

I would however, after cleaning the mold up clean the areas with soap and water dry, then put a little Finish on the wood parts because I think the mold may have attacked more then the surface

a70eliminator

Captain

The ski locker should have drained into the bilge, either the drains are plugged or your bilge was also full of water because you left the plug in.
I would probably pull the carpet completely out of the ski locker and throw it away.

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class

simply call a carpet cleaner.we have mold killer(they SHOULD have)get your boat spiffed up and kill mold in one call.unless you call big chain cleaner,shouldnt cost much at all.absolutely no need to rip out carpet!one treatment of most commercial mold killers will eliminate the problem.

a70eliminator

Captain

I have a 2000SL, I know exactly what your ski locker looks like, the original carpet in mine is long gone, it now has a custom fitted carpet insert that pulls right out, I also have a prop rod that I built into the spring loaded cover so I can prop the lid open between outings which helps tremendously in keeping the mold at bay.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys!

The drain plugs from the locker are not plugged and I had the drain plug out of the back of the boat. Unfortunately I did not have the boat tilted up enough for it to have drained out the back.

I like the idea of having a cleaner come out and clean the locker with a mold killer and also get the rest of my carpet spiffed up at the same time.

I also like the other idea of creating a customer carpet that can snap in and out of the locker for ease of cleaning in the future.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If water had been sitting in my forward bilge through the winter...should i be concerned with possible rot to my stringers?

a70eliminator

Captain

Naa, that bilge is all glassed in well, there are a couple screw holes up high, one for a wire loom and another for the hatch spring, it's the only place water could penetrate and the water would have to be pretty high in there.
Notice in the engine bilge where the locker drain exits, just above there is another opening, once the water gets that high it begins to enter the fuel tank compartment.