hull sealing/ foam material

mayorjon

Recruit
I am restoring a neptune and when I remived the wood floor boards there appears to be a thich seling material that is coming up. It is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
Is it original and needs to be replaced or someting that others have added over the years?
If it has a prupose, what product should I use to replace it?
thanks

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: hull sealing/ foam material

It's only a 1/2 inch thick? I too have the Neptune model. When I pulled up my rotted flooring, the foam pieces inbetween the box stringers was more like 2 inches thick or more. I replaced this with styrofoam. I've heard of guys using pool noodles...since those are made for human floatation. One guy needed to do his entire boat and bought all of the pool noodles which his local store had. I'm thinking the material is floatation material.

Have you been in touch at the Duratech site? If not, you can either share your 5 digit serial number here,or send to duratech@duratechboats.com and we'll verify the year of manufacture. Please post some pics here!!

mayorjon

Recruit

The model number is S179
The thick coating is on the inside bottom of the hull and appears to be a urethane or epoxy. Almost looks like it was poured on. Would it be a seam sealer or stiffener to support the rivited joints? Does it have a purpose?
The foam is also there and that is not attached but appears to be OK.
thanks,

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jon, this was added at some point. I'll bet they had rivet leaks and coated with this. Remove it if it's no longer adhering and use Sikaflex marine adhesive. Find tubes of this on eBay. It's made for this purpose.