Untangling Yamaha Twin Ignition Switches

lnarngr

Recruit
Hello,
I have a 1998 Catamaran with twin Yam 90 engines. One of the ignition switches went bad so I have tried to replace it with a single switch. The replacement does not have provisions for the little black back box wired in with the switches under the console. Is this the Dual Engine Diode Assembly? I saw a reference to that in a previous thread.

I have been told that I could use this ignition switch by going around the little black box. Is this recommended? Does anyone have any idea how this is best done? I need to get on the water before the oil gets here.

Thanks in advance!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Untangling Yamaha Twin Ignition Switches

if it was rigged corretly to start with and only if.
there should be a black box about 2" by 3" behind the switch panal. this is the dual engine switch,it controls alarm self test at start up,engine stall alarm and RPM reduction on both engines should either engine have an RPM reduction alarm condition.
all the key switchs are pretty much the same except some did not have a push to choke feature.
post a couple of pics and we can help.
there are two black boxs about 1" square in the harness for the trim from the control box to the switch assy, they are the blocking diodes for the individual trim buttons.

lnarngr

Recruit

I thought of some further information that might be helpful. Last summer, I called Jay Jalonovich to come over and tell me what was wrong with the boat. It would not start. He disconnected the port engine from the ignition cable running forward to the start switch. He jumped it from the moter itself and it started right up. He said it was the key that had gone bad. I bought a new switch, but waited until now to install it. I also ordered it myself. Big mistake, lesson learned.
I mistakenly bought a single switch, because only one had failed. I clearly should have bought the double switch, how long until I lose the other one...
Anyhow, the single switch is very similar, but does not contain the wires to incorporate the dual engine switch. I intend to post pics, but it might take a little while, gotta work tomorrow.
I sure appreciate your help on this Rodbold.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like you need to pick up the proper one

lnarngr

Recruit

Yah, just trying to avoid the wasting of the money for the single switch and spending another $250 for the dual. I hired a