belts squealing

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
1996 7.4 Mercruiser/bravo3--I replaced my alternator and now the belts squeal loud. -I checked to make sure the v-belts were in the correct grove- inside alt- center raw water cooling& tension-er-outside to power steering-
alt & power steering have moderate tension- the power steering brackets were loose- did i get them out of alignment?- the alt had several washers and think they went back the same.
every thing seems to turn easy. belts are good shape.
ANY ADVISE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: belts squealing

I have had good luck just using a bar of soap. I just have the engine off and rub the bar of soap on as much of the exposed belt as you can. Start it up and see if that works. If it doesn't they make a spray can to spray on the belt to stop the squealing.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Thx-1010- I was in Nebraska over the Memorial Day Weekend We had a great time-good people + we have farms there in Clay County-Sutton.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The belts all have to be in alignment on the pulleys, and tight. You shouldn't need any type of soap or spray to stop squealing. If you do, then the belt is probably glazed from previous slipping and needs replaced.
Also, belts worn down from rusty pulleys will not tighten down due to lack of adjustment because the belt is narrowed down which makes it seem longer and there is no adjustment left.

cr2k

Captain

Also they are probably squealing so much because they are being driven hard with the new alt. trying to get the batteries charged back up.

Most likely new belt will help.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Thx for the replies- I had new belts 3 years ago but think I should install new- easy & cheap - the noise is terrible above idle-so much I wont go out-
the alt I replaced turns easy and had a badly worn ground wire -
I hate not having use of the boat:mad:
the batteries were pulled and tested to be good- I charged the blue top DP Optima all day on charger 2AMP at home.I do not think the alt is in a bind but my power steering looks off a bit. the bolts were loose and i tightened them.
I do not plan on spraying lube to quite them- - I think they are tight and good condition.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Sucsess!- i went to look it over one last time and saw the power steering pulley way out of aliginement,. brackett was loose and I tightened it up and "Bada Bing" everything is good/looks smooth-ran down the lake, alt is charging-life is good!
THX for the input!
:cool:Joe