Trailer hub leak

fishndirk

Petty Officer 1st Class
My trailer had a hub leak I noticed shortly after I bought it. Took it apart and found that there was some pitting on the spindle right where the rear seal is. (probly water intrusion that sat there) Im wondering if JB Weld can be used to fill the gaps or if i should just buy a new spindle. I drove 2000 miles after buying the boat and the bearings still looked brand new when I took it apart. Just kept pumpin grease in it.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailer hub leak

Putting JB weld or anything on it is just like putting a band-aid on a sore. If the trailer is new, then it should be under warranty so I'd ask them to replace the axle. I realize 2K miles is a long ways so have them send you a replacement axle then either bring it to a local shop or you can change it.

nlain

Commander
Re: Trailer hub leak

I would check around for a seal with a speedy sleeve, the sleeve will give a new seal surface for the seal to run on, this is if trailer is out of warranty. I am not sure that the seal with sleeve is available for trailer setup, but I would certainly check before trying anything else.