Choke Thermostat

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice
Just a bit of helpful information. I replaced my choke thermostat yesterday. Why? It did not function, choke never opened. It was probably submerged, was definetly corroded. I hooked it up multiple times (no movement), tested it with an ohm meter (no continuity).
My thermostat was an electric type, on the 2 barrel carburetor (Mercarb) for my Merc 165 (3.7L). I replaced it with one from Napa auto (part number 30076), but they can be found at any auto parts store. I referenced a 1984 Chevrolet C-10 with a 305ci motor. The thermostat is common, not any cheaper, but was on the shelf and works great. It can possibly be said that if the choke thermostat looks the same, fits, and has the same winding direction, it will work.
Just in case no one knows how an electric, automatic, choke works, here is a quick rundown. The choke thermostat is a system comprised of a bi-metal coil that expands and unwinds as it is heated, and a resistive heater that heats the coil. This unit operates completely separate of the motor, and the choke opens at a set rate regardless of the temperature of the engine. If the choke thermostat fails, the choke will not open and the motor will run very poorly when at temp. There are some carbs that have a linked vacuum tube that helps the choke open when the engine is running, but mine did not have this function.

Brandon

fossill

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Choke Thermostat

Get the one that is specifically for your application. They are calibrated to open at a certain rate depending on what carb model you have. Usually you need the tag number off the carb to get the exact one. You may or may not have satisfactory results with yours.

zbnutcase

Commander

Get the one that is specifically for your application. They are calibrated to open at a certain rate depending on what carb model you have. Usually you need the tag number off the carb to get the exact one. You may or may not have satisfactory results with yours.

He said it works great.

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice

Quick update. No problems what-so-ever. Choke thermostat still working great. I guess I shouldn't say that it is the ideal solution, but, if you have no other choice, or if you have an old working thermostat laying around, it will work. I'm just trying to find as many shortcuts and cost savings as I can, and if they work, pass them along.