1950 evinrude fleetwin

mattman208

Recruit
I picked this motor up from a guy for $5 at a yard sale. He said it didnt run. It sat in my shop for a couple years and today I decided to see if it would fire. I pulled the carb and cleaned it up then put it back together and she fired right up. I still need to do a little tuning as it idles great but won't throttle up. My question is does anyone know where to get replacement spark plug cables? The ones on it i'm assuming are original and the screw that holds the end peice on pulls right out of them and doesnt hold the clip tightly.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1950 evinrude fleetwin

You can get new wire and plug boots at NAPA, small engine shops, most marinas, etc. Use metallic core wire...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Um, a 1950 would have those obsolete 580040 coils that melted down over 50 years ago and are worth their weight in gold if you can find some NOS ones. That is probably why you got it for $5. Some people are putting modern coils on the old laminations.

mattman208

Recruit

This is such a neat little motor that I was hoping to keep it original. I guess if I can't find the parts though i'll have to put newer style wires and boots on it. I honestly think i got this thing for $5 because the guy didn't know what he had. I've found a few of them online since then running anywhere from $250 to $500.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

FYI - just because someone has a $500 price tag on the motor does not make it worth that much. Take someone opening their wallet to actually make a price valid. $500 vintage motors are few and far between....

I believe Jamestown Distributors carries many of the vintage style spark plug connectors if you're looking to go with the original style. Being a cowled motor, I generally go with function over form and use later style rubber boots and sparkies...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

This is such a neat little motor that I was hoping to keep it original. I guess if I can't find the parts though i'll have to put newer style wires and boots on it. I honestly think i got this thing for $5 because the guy didn't know what he had. I've found a few of them online since then running anywhere from $250 to $500.

I bought one for $20. Paid too much. Scrapping it out.

mattman208

Recruit

Considering i'm only in it about $12 as of now i'm not making a decision on it until it's in the water. So far it's only ran in a makeshift test tank. It sounds to me like you arent very fond of these motors. Any reasoning? I'm open to hear all opinions good or bad. I have pretty much no knowledge of boat motors in general but I do have some knowledge on 2 cycle motors from motorcycles and lawn equipment which is what made me think I can make this thing run. I'm quite sure it's not going to push my 16' flatbottom anywhere near the speed i'd like but if it will run reliably it will get me by until i can get a 25 horse. Thanks for your replies so far. Since its not worth much i'm going to just go ahead and put newer style wires and boots on it and see where that gets me. Worst case scenario i'll sell it for whatever I can get out of it and put the money toward a newer bigger motor.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Mine is a '53, which has the "common" style coils and rubber impeller. Makes it easier to maintain as those parts are readily available. Mine runs alright, but is a bit buzzy. It is not nearly as refined as the '54 Fleetwin that replaced it. It does kick my 12-footer up on plane, but I'm not sure it would do the same with a 16-footer...