Oil Mixture 72 Evenrude Outboard 100 HP

normanrayw

Recruit
I'm looking at oil at Canadian Tire for two cycle outboard motors. The descriptions all describe them for newer motors some indicate it is for fuel injection motors. My boat is at the lake out of town and I don't have access to the manual right now to see what letter designation it gives for the oil type. Perhaps the oil I'm looking at has the required designation. I would like to purchase the oil in the city and take it out to the lake. What type of oil required?
Also I have concern that when this motor was manufactured gas treated with lead was required. As this gas is not available do I need to add special treatment? Some have told me I should use a higher grade gas rather than regular. Is this true?
Thanks for any comments.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil Mixture 72 Evenrude Outboard 100 HP

Check the label on any outboard oil. As long as it says TCWIII or TCW3, you will meet minimum oil standards for your engine. There are some oils, like the Merc Optimax outboard oil-which is specifically designed for those Opti's-but that oil does not have that rating. I don't subscribe to running the "minimum" required oil and run the Bombardier XD50 oil. That is a premium oil and is one of the few on the market which has a carbon guard additive to reduce carbon deposits while you are running the engine. The crossflow family of OMC engines has been known to suffer from carbon buildup on high hour engines. You should be fine with unleaded 89 octane.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Do not use lead additives. Lead caused problems in outboards. Good riddance.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your engine will perform well on any TC-W3 rated oil.

Those oils rated for DFI engines (Optimax, ETEC, etc.) meet a different standard that is no advantage in older, carbureted engines.

If you seek a higher standard of cleanliness and lower carbon buildup you might try a TC-W3 rated full synthetic oil. It will cost a lot more than, for example, a store brand that is actually made by the same people who make the high buck, advertised brands.

My recommendations are store branded TC-W3 oil for best value, and Pennziol Full Synthetic TC-W3 outboard oil for low emissions and engine longevity.

normanrayw

Recruit

Thank you everyone for your replies. You gave me the info I require.