1974 115 hp Mercury idiling problem

kirby55

Recruit
The 115 Mercury was running on 4 of the 6 cylinders when I got it. I cleaned out the bottom carb and now is running on all cylinders. I took it out for a 10-15 min. drive and then came back in the harbor where there is a no wake. While coming in my motor would just die when you would put it in gear but when it was in neutral it would run. All my carbs are good to go. The gas bulb was also hard as a rock. What could be the problem?

For the timing mark on the distributor pulley and the fly wheel pulley do they have to mirror each other or should the lines/marks touch when cylinder 1 is TDC?

Any help is much appreciated

Travis

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1974 115 hp Mercury idiling problem

If idle mixture is a bit too lean the motor will idle fine but can die in gear and/or bog on acceleration.

Likewise for a drop of water in one carb plugging the idle circuit and effectively killing those two cyls at an idle.

Do you have a water separating filter? If not, install one, if this is not your current problem it will at least prevent future fuel problems.

Drain the float bowls, catch the fuel and look for a bead of water, flush each one out using the primer bulb.

Re-adjust idle mixture to BEST idle speed while IN Forward gear, PLUS about 1/8 turn OUT to provide the additional fuel for acceleration.

Lastly, adjust idle speed with initial ignition timing.

Repost with your results.