what can i expect out of this prop?

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
06032010123.jpg

just bought a new prop, identical to my old one, but this one has a flat tip. never seen a prop like this? what can i expect in relation to my old prop, my old prop gave me perfect rpm range, and good performance? my old prop is same material, and pitch but had a standard blade. my old one was damaged.

msojjo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: what can i expect out of this prop?

is it a michigan wheel prop?

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class

hmmm noone? i begininng to worry this is really a reman'd prop that had a tip broken off.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Looks like a copy of a Ballistic. I wouldn't expect too much from it.

On one hand you say it's identical to your old prop but then say it's different. We'd suspect that from your post it's nothing like your original prop. Testing will determine if it works for your set up.

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a copy of a Ballistic. I wouldn't expect too much from it.

On one hand you say it's identical to your old prop but then say it's different. We'd suspect that from your post it's nothing like your original prop. Testing will determine if it works for your set up.

no, the pitch and diameter is identical. but that cropped tip is not. and concearning. ill test tomorrow. i just never seen a blade like that and beginning to think its a reman of a broken tip. that is the point of my post to see if experts have seen that type of blade . i have not. btw, what is a ballistic?

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok so i tested the prop this weekend, i lost about 800-900 rpm, and 5 mph in relation to my stock prop. does the cropping of the tip cause this? im definately returning tryin to see what i should go with .

oh also i notice the diameter of the new prop is quarter inch larger. so basically my stock prop was 13.5x15, the new prop is 13.75x15 with a cropped blade, and cupped. i know i loose rpm with the cup but 800-900 rpm??? something else is up. diameter? or is the cropped tip? arggggghhh all i wanted was exact factor replacement :(

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Prop performance can vary quite a bit between the manufacturers, even when you have the same diameter and pitch. I recently replaced a very old 13.25 X 17 pitch Michigan aluminum prop with a new 13.25 X 17 Solas aluminum prop. I lost 450 RPM and about 1 MPH boat speed. I replaced the 17 pitch Solas for a 15 pitch Solas of the same model. Compared to the old Michigan prop I am now running about 100 more RPM and about half a mile per hour faster, and the new prop is actually speced. as 2 inches less pitch. Needless to say I am now quite happy with the 15 pitch Solas prop, but it shows how different two different makes of props can be, and also the difference between an old design and a modern design.