How to set points on 1976 6hp evinrude?

Leefy

Cadet
I have attached some photos of the flywheel and points. Want to know how to set the .020 gap. If I put the flywheel marked T within the double line and set it and then move the throttle at all it really changes the position of the double marks and changes the gap. If I put at setting B between the two marks, neither set of points is open at all.

Obviously, you must have correct throttle position for each setting. Wondering if anyone can give me the proper way to do this setting.

Thanks

Leefy

Attachments

• DSCN0065.JPG
    DSCN0065.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0066.JPG
    DSCN0066.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0067.jpg
    DSCN0067.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 3

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to set points on 1976 6hp evinrude?

There is no need to have the throttle in any certain position.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

Leefy

Cadet
Re: How to set points on 1976 6hp evinrude?

Thanks Joe

Worked like a charm.:)