Mercury promax found in storage

buddyp

Seaman
Found a 1994 200 mercury promax..new never started in storage...buttt..the owner will not start it...it has never been run...should I buy it before I run it..what do I look for rust in cyls?

dbrew

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury promax found in storage

with a motor that old(its not that old but it is 16 years old) that hasent been started you are going to have to replace the impeller and the carbs are going to have to be rebuilt if they had any gas when stored. i would start by removing the sparkplugs and spraying some wd40 to lube the cylinders and either turn the flywheel by hand and feal for cylinder stuckage with the plugs out. if he wont start it or even crank it to do a compression check you have to ask yourself if you know him and how mutch you are willing to spend if it doesnt run. rusted cylinders usually arent a big problem so i wouldnt worrie too mutch. if it were me i would take at least a few hundred off the price if he wont run it or even crank it. good luck

dbrew

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury promax found in storage

if he will let you do a compression check on it make sure all the cylinders are the same if the are all over dont buy it unless you have the time and money to rebuild it i usually like to make sure all aren't more than 10 psi off from the best to worst.