help please: Looking for a roomy inflatable that's good for fishing

scfisher13

Cadet
Hello folks! I started fishing about three weeks ago. Before that, I had only done it a couple times. Let me tell you, I took a real liking to it. I've been fishing non-stop since then, and I've decided that standing on shores can only get me so far. I'm tired of seeing fish jump a mere 10 feet beyond my lines.

That said, I also live in a tiny apartment right now (currently enrolled at University) so there's not much space, and my apartment lot doesn't have the necessary room to accomodate a rigid boat.

So I'm looking for a good inflatable. My price range is up to $200, and I know I can get something pretty darn good in there. The problem is that I have stipulations that I'd like to be met. It doesn't have to meet ALL of these, but a good majority would be nice. I'd love it if you guys could give me some feedback.

1. It needs to be large enough for two people. When I say two people, I mean comfortably... and room for gear. My girlfriend loves to fish as well (as backwards as it sounds, she's the one who got me into it), but she also loves to relax. I looked at the Intex Seahawk II, and it had really great reviews, but it seemed a little to cramped for those spur of the moment times when my girlfriend could say, "Golly, can't we just relax and float for a while?" So roomy. That's a plus. The Intex Excursion was a good size, but one thing held me up which I'll touch on.

2. Mobility. I plan on making the investment at some point (just not immediately) and picking up an electric motor mount. Maybe the Minn-Kota 30lb. The thing is though, in the meantime, I'd like to be able to get around relatively well with simple oars. The Excursion is holding me back because of its flat bottom, which doesn't allow for much excursioning at all, really. I've read reviews of people getting flat-out exhausted from all of effort they need to put into paddling just to get somewhere.

3. Necessary amenities like rod holders, wrap-around lines, locking oar holders, dry box (or some sort of small storage to hold phones), tie-downs or something similar. The dry box isn't necessary, I can DIY one of those pretty easily. Inflatable cushions would probably be an upside, too.

4. Strength. It needs to be strong and hold air. I don't want to get out on the lake and start sinking after an hour of fishing.

So, given that, and my price tag of $200, what can you guys recommend?

Thanks a TON!

Jonathon

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: help please: Looking for a roomy inflatable that's good for fishing

sevylor has a series in the fishing line, with a option accesory for mounting a trolling motor. i picked up one for "4" people at a garage sale once, held 2 people with gear comfortably. best bet is go to the sporting goods store that carries several models, and climb in one for size. a 4 person would be the smallest i would go for 2 people and gear

scfisher13

Cadet

Ha -- yeah. Picturing some of these boats, I knew that four people would be wishful thinking for a lot of models.

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking out some outlet stores in the area of upstate SC -- just have to find one that fits my tastes. I really like the idea of sitting in some boats to get a feel for their size. I probably wouldn't have thought of that. Definitely be a good guage.

Thanks again.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like you're having a great time! Sevylor has a couple of boats that may fit your needs in that price range. Their web site has specs and prices. I have to be a bit of a party-poop, though: Don't think for a minute that a boat in that price range is intended for anything but very calm water, very close to shore, very shallow water usage. It is NOT a boat that should be relied upon when the going gets rough. The materials used are lightweight and much more prone to puncture than most of the heavier duty offerings out there. Your life (and your friend's life) depend on a safely built, seaworthy product. Don't skimp on life jackets either. Sorry to sound so negative, but it breaks my heart to hear of drowning deaths involving the use of non seaworthy vessels. I'd say stick to the shore until you can save enough for a real boat. Best wishes!
Larry

scfisher13

Cadet

I really appreciate the concern, Larry! And I can assure you that I have no intention of skimping on necessary safety equipment. Life preservers have always been made available when I'm out on the lake, and I plan on making sure that both myself and whomever I'm fishing with is in good hands.

The primary use for this raft will likely be on the smaller lakes/ponds in the upstate SC area, and the areas close to the shore of the larger lakes. As I'm not a strong swimmer, I know all-too-well the dangers that lack of preparation can present, so I'm taking everything into consideration.

I've checked out Sevylor. They look pretty promising for what I'm after. I'm honestly looking more forward to owning a bigger place or having some sort of driveway later on in life so I can invest in a real boat rather than an oversized piece of PVC.

Again, thanks! Now all I need is to find an outlet store close by so I can avoid paying exorbinant shipping costs.

FH alumni

Seaman Apprentice

Had a small raft when I was a kid, lots of fun on calm lakes. Forget a dry box-too bulky, get a dry bag instead. Found one at TJ Maxx last week with an air valve to really compress stuff down for under $20. Works to keep the cell and other gear dry.

Do yourself a favor and get a better set of oars than the plastic ones the boat will come with. Don't want to be at the far end of the lake and have an oar snap in half. Really will put an end to your day if you tell your girlfriend she has to get in the water and kick to propel you back to dock. :D

Be warned-this will lead to other boat purchases in the future. A sickness that can not be cured.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

the one i ha was an older model, picked up at a yard sale for 50 bucks... super thick pve, and as for the oars, aluminium ones work great. plastic sucks. check out cabellas for models, as well as bass pro, both can be done on line

scfisher13

Cadet

Awesome. Thanks for the replies, guys. I like the idea of a dry bag, so that'll be something worthwhile to look into.

Also, you're absolutely right about the oars! Holy cow, I've heard so many bad things, so that's on my list of things to purchase. Though, honestly, my girlfriend used to do synchronized swimming, so maybe she wouldn't be such a bad energy source for getting back to shore ;)

Though she'd kill me afterward!

Alright, gonna check out Cabela's and BPS one more time. It really is kind of a sickness already -- I want it here now so I can just go out and fish, but I also want to fastforward 5 years when I (hopefully) have a home and a nice 20-footer. Mmm...

Thanks again, folks.

BobnAbout

Cadet

Checkout SEAEAGLE, low price option.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

its an addiction, you start off low priced and small, before you realize it you have a 12 foot zodiak, and am looking at the largest motor you can put on the bad boy