Bunks or Rollers

CHAWK46

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking for a trailer for my 21' Century BR. It weighs about 3,500 dry. Would you recommend bunks or roolers. I keep it docked at my summer place and usually only move it spring and fall. Although I might like to do the St. Lawerance now and then.

I know I need dual axel and surge brakes. Probably want something rated for 4500 lbs.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bunks or Rollers

Do a search. That is what it is for. This topic has been covered more times than I can count. I prefer bunk myself.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Yeah this one has been covered umpteen times. Most people like what they have regardless of logic, physics or reality and will defend it to the end. Then there are those that own or have owned both. Go to a few ramps and actually observe some of each.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am fairly new to the board and have not read any other threads so my opinion is just that my opinion.

I owned a boat about 20 years ago a Welcraft 196. It had a trailer with rollers. The Crownline 180 BR I have now has bunks. What I noticed with the rollers is that you could winch the boat up without getting the trailer in the water too deep. With the bunks you have to have the trailer just the right depth or the boat will float off center if in too far and if it's not in far enough you can not pull my boat up on the bunks with the winch.

What I like about the bunks though is when the trailer is in right it straightens the boat up and puts it in perfect alignment with the bow stop and I only need to crank it in about a foot or two at the most. And I am NOT power loading. I am loading under power which is a difference. I never gun the boat, I just idle it on and then maybe give it a little nudge of power.

I guess the bottom line with me is I don't really have a preference, but definitely notice a difference between the two. You certainly see a lot more bunk types though that's for sure.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Both work, personal choice.
I prefer rollers for my boat but bunks would work as well.

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And I am NOT power loading. I am loading under power which is a difference. I never gun the boat, I just idle it on and then maybe give it a little nudge of power.

Anyone can feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but that, IMO is power loading. Even that little "nudge" you give is enough to move the bottom of any loading ramp. (ie stir up the sand and move it) NOT powerloading, as I understand it, is walking the boat with lines to the trailer, and then winching the rest of the way onto the trailer. I dare not go into all the effects as a) it's been covered many times, and b) It's a fairly controversial topic. Personally, any of the 3 boats I've owned, have NEVER been powerloaded. I cut power as i'm approaching the dock, or idle up to it. Tie off at the end and wait for the tow-vehicle to back down the ramp. This also allows any other boats to come in and pull out before the tow-vehicle is approaching/down the ramp. Where I launch there is enough room for (2) 21-22' boats to tie off in parallel. After the tow vehicle/trailer is down the ramp and in the water, the boat is walked onto the trailer with the assistance of bow/stern lines. IF someone happens to be tied off in front, I'll either wait for them to go ahead, or simply ask the crew of the other boat to simply guide my boat alongside theirs. Very friendly for the most part around this area, have yet to meet "that jerk" at the ramps. My opinions, not yours. Add your $0.02 as needed:)

Also, my apologies for drifting from original topic, To the OP, I've used rollers on the first boat, bunks on the second, and in the process of going from bunks to rollers on the 3rd. This is due to the original bunks being old/rotten/unable to accomodate my current boat on the trailer I got for it. I personally prefer rollers. Makes life of loading and unloading alot simpler IMO. However, I find centering the boat more challenging with rollers than bunks. Again, my opinions and experiences.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Perhaps by choice.
Anything over 18' or 2,000# I really appreciate the roller for both loading and unloading. But, it really needs to be set up and used correctly. I see so many that are all wrong for the hull and it's a battle royal loading.

16' & under I like the low maintenance and ease of use on a smaller lighter boat.

I think the ramp pretty much dictates which would work better for you,, and are you launching solo or always with help? That means some too.

Either way, I power-on / drive off at a idle or a tad more with wind / currents.

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a ski boat, bottom of the boat is "completely flat". The trailer we have has the "bunks" as opposed to the roller type,the reason being we seem to think that with the "bunks" the weight is more evenly distributed therefore less chance of distorting the bottom of the boat (putting a "hook" in it) than if it was resting on those "rollers". Granted the rollers make it easy to load and/or unload the boat but after many years of launching and loading the boat its become a peice of cake!
Bailey

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have bunks on my 21' fiberglass boat and have grown to love them. Super easy to guide onto during retrieval without having to worry about dragging the keel on the trailer frame if the roller is missed or pulling the boat out of the water off center on the trailer. Been there in the past and not fun.
The only downside for me at first was the effort to winch the boat onto the trailer but that has been remedied by slightly adjusting the nut behind the winch. :D (I just accept that I have to be another 2' in the water for easy loading.)

Unsolicited opinion >>> The BEST money I have spent on the trailer was the addition of a pair of guide on poles.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I have bunks on my 21' fiberglass boat and have grown to love them. Super easy to guide onto during retrieval without having to worry about dragging the keel on the trailer frame if the roller is missed or pulling the boat out of the water off center on the trailer. Been there in the past and not fun.
The only downside for me at first was the effort to winch the boat onto the trailer but that has been remedied by slightly adjusting the nut behind the winch. :D (I just accept that I have to be another 2' in the water for easy loading.)

Unsolicited opinion >>> The BEST money I have spent on the trailer was the addition of a pair of guide on poles.
I have rollers on our trailer for the 20 footer, the trailer sunk to the tops of the fenders and the boat will center it self on the trailer with a 4 foot pull till it's on every time first shot, spend the time and properly set the rollers up and I agree with the guides...........

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Rollers all the way!! bunks rot and if you are the dock with a rotted bunk then what?.. my opinion..

Rollers make life a lot easier..rollers and guides??..wow.. now we are talking!

cullen493

Seaman Apprentice

I have both rollers and bunks but I just took the bunks off because they were rotted beyond belief. I personally like the rollers better I feel it helps me get the boat on easier and plus I don't have to worry about the bunks from getting rotted. I don't think I will replace the bunks I think i'll just use the rollers. Also If you put a little bit of wd-40 on the rollers occasionally it will help the boat slide up better and prevent premature wear and squeaks.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Bunks support better. My boat now sits on bunks, but sat on rollers before I got it. It has 16 permanent dents in the fiberglass hull that where each roller was.

Bunks aren't hard to load or unload except in the case of a very shallow water launch.

Bunks rot and rollers wear out. What's the difference!!! Maintenance is required on all trailers.

If you are at the dock with a busted roller you are just as bad off as with a busted bunk. Actually you are worse off because i can go to any lumber store and get a piece of wood to use as a temporary bunk, but a roller trailer you need a new roller which you are only going to find at a marine retailer.

I got my boat with a roller trailer and it is now converted to bunks. I guess that tells you what my preference is.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

There has been good opinions given for both the bunks and the rollers. Myself I prefer to have the bunks on my trailer versus the rollers. Now to solo load a boat on a trailer yes it is much easier with the rollers. However I have talked to a few people that drop there boat where I do my boating at that have rollers on their trailers, and they said they do prefer to have the rollers over the bunks, but like to caution that if you are out on the water and something may happen to fall on your trailer (It does happen, weather it be by cause of nature or someone just being stupid. Last time I took my boat out I have 4 very huge tree limbs on my trailer) it can lead to damage to the rollers that would cause the rollers to not work correctly. Now the bunk boards are cheap and easy to replace. I bought 2 6 foot and 2 4 foot bunk boards for $30.00 from a boat shop. They are marine wood, and came with the carpet on them. The boards on my trailer were the second set that was put on my 71 trailer back in 1992. I prefer to have the bunk boards due to they seem to work easier than the rollers. Now with the problem of the boat not centering on the trailer very well with the rollers you can buy keel rollers that have grooves to center the boat on the trailer for a decent price. I'm going to be getting those for my trailer even though with bunks my trailer pretty much centers without any problems. That's just something to add into the conversation between these two. Everyone is giving really good opinoins though on what they like the most, and explaining everything really well for you to make your decision on which way to go.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Now with the problem of the boat not centering on the trailer very well with the rollers you can buy keel rollers that have grooves to center the boat on the trailer for a decent price.

Agreed, I have a Shorelandr' roller trailer for my Chaparral. It is literally impossible to load it any way but perfect. If you winch it on the trailer, it is going on straight. I think the other thing here is that not all trailers be they bunk or roller are created equal. I can't say I really know much about boat trailers other than I can spot a cheap one and have owned several of each. Snowmobile trailers yes since I had to buy one so some of that technology translates to boat trailers. Even on new boat packages, it is clear they are cutting some cost with some cheap trailers. For my use being fresh water lakes both steep, shallow, dirt, cement, poor condition, good condition, heavy wind, no wind, washed out from prop was or not, this discussion is like asking which is faster a horse or a fully functioning car. In all usability respects the roller trailer is the fully functioning car. Maybe if I had a cheapo roller trailer, i'd feel differently. Rollers to me are a technology upgrade which like anything can have unintended consequenses as mentioned in earlier posts.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agreed, I have a Shorelandr' roller trailer for my Chaparral. It is literally impossible to load it any way but perfect. If you winch it on the trailer, it is going on straight. I think the other thing here is that not all trailers be they bunk or roller are created equal. I can't say I really know much about boat trailers other than I can spot a cheap one and have owned several of each. Snowmobile trailers yes since I had to buy one so some of that technology translates to boat trailers. Even on new boat packages, it is clear they are cutting some cost with some cheap trailers. For my use being fresh water lakes both steep, shallow, dirt, cement, poor condition, good condition, heavy wind, no wind, washed out from prop was or not, this discussion is like asking which is faster a horse or a fully functioning car. In all usability respects the roller trailer is the fully functioning car. Maybe if I had a cheapo roller trailer, i'd feel differently. Rollers to me are a technology upgrade which like anything can have unintended consequenses as mentioned in earlier posts.

Bunks or rollers have unintended consequences to them. It just takes a little research, a little studying, and a little decision making to decide which way to go. Some people are happy using and some are happy using bunks. I mean realistically it's a 50/50 on how people feel about it.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

I'm looking for a trailer for my 21' Century BR. It weighs about 3,500 dry. Would you recommend bunks or roolers. I keep it docked at my summer place and usually only move it spring and fall. Although I might like to do the St. Lawerance now and then.

I know I need dual axel and surge brakes. Probably want something rated for 4500 lbs.

I have bunks for one boat and rollers for another. Overall, I prefer the bunks.

Why do you want surge brakes? That would be my last choice of the braking options available.