rotted hull walls

david brum

Cadet
I have a mid 80s 15' Seaswirl. Over the weekend, I noticed some rot in the plywood surrounding the foam bulkheads by the transom. Then I noticed lots of rot on the plywood on the sides of the hull.

Today I removed the seats and carpet and ripped out all the rotten ply. It was pretty bad. I now have a naked boat ready to repair, but I'm wondering about the parts that I can't see. The floor seems solid enough, but the rotten plywood sides seem to extend down past the floor.

Can anyone tell me what to expect below the floor on this boat? Does it have wooden stringers which could be rotted? I have had a boat with rotten stringers before, and this boat doesn't have that "soft" feeling when going over waves, etc.

Also, the floor is very heavily fiberglassed in place, so it would be a major pain to cut it out.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: rotted hull walls

Fix your topside stuff and call it a day.....I'm sure you got some rot down below but if the floor is still solid its probably not catastrophic....not sure how your boat was made but at that time wood in the stringers was only used to give something to wrap the fiberglass over...if the fiberglass is still solid it doesnt matter if the wood inside has some rot in it....its a 15' boat... fix it up and have a good summer.

david brum

Cadet
Re: rotted hull walls

That sounds like a great idea. Thanks very much for the advice. That really sets my mind at ease.