Waste Tank Indicator 2004 Chaparral Sig 260

chappie260

Recruit
I just bought a used 2004 Signature 260 and the waste tank indicator shows FULL all the time. I pulled the sending unit (pee-eww!) and cleaned and freed up the floats. Looks like there are two floats. One for 3/4 full and another for full. I checked with an OHM meter and they pull anywhere from just over 0 ohms to over 1.4 M ohm throughout their range of travel, so it seems that they are working properly in this regard. Problem is, it almost seems to be working backwards. If I turn the sending unit upside down simulating a full tank, then the indicator in the head reads 3/4 full and Full at the same time. As it stands right now, it looks like at least I can tell when tank is full (by when 3/4 full light comes on). Unfortunately by then it will be too late as I won't have the advance warning as to when to start looking for a pumpout. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of system. I do not know who makes it as I didn't receive any literature with the boat purchase.

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Waste Tank Indicator 2004 Chaparral Sig 260

I had a similar issue. Maybe u flipped something around or changed a wire accidentally on the unit? My indicator always shows 3/4 full no matter what. I replaced the whole waste system any way so never exactly found out what the issue was...

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

what is the voltage, might have some corroded wires

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

what is the voltage, might have some corroded wires
great idea..check all wires with a voltage indicator. Maybe even a short somewhere

chappie260

Recruit

Thanks, I will try that and post any results/findings

jkust

Rear Admiral

Try the Chaparral factory owners forum. It's very active and the owners are very knowledgable. Most have larger boats on there.