Push button switch help

tfisher

Cadet
I'm tring to hook up a switch just to start the boat,i have a 86 johnson 60hrs
someone told me to take the yellow and red wire from the ignition to one side and splice the pur/white to the other does this sound correct? I have a manual but it dosent give me any answers to this question. Can anyone help?
Many thanks

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Push button switch help

Are you talking about a switch that just engages the starter? There should be a 12V+ lead coming in and a lead to the starter relay or solenoid going out. Your wiring diagram should tell you what color wire energizes the starter circuit. The usual color is yellow with a red stripe, so that part sounds right.

tfisher

Cadet

Well,yes i guess i am i thingk one goes to the solinod and one to the choke.all i want to do is turn the key on and start the motor with the push button switch

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Might I ask why not use the START position of the ignition switch? It is the "S" terminal on the switch.

tfisher

Cadet

The reason is for some reason the ignition switch keeps sticking it's the 3rd i,ve put in

NYBo

Admiral

I'm with Silvertip. Get the ignition switch working properly.

You definitely don't want to attach the choke to the starter circuit. When restarting a warm motor, you don't want the choke to engage.