Trim and tilt help please!

2ifbyc

Seaman
Just had a new bravo 3 installed. (1990 7.4l 454 mag engine). The trim seems to go up and down fine when i am stopped or moving slowly. When i open it up it seems to me that its not doing anything. Is that possible? I see no change when i tilt all the way up and all the way down while underway. Then when i stop to check it again it seems to work fine. Any ideas???

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trim and tilt help please!

Ayuh,... It's possible that the pump is so weak, it can't overcome the thrust of the prop,...
If you can't trim up,+ blow out the prop, while underway, I'd think there's a Problem...

2ifbyc

Seaman

Is there a way to test the pump. I also just had a brand new outdrive installed with new trim sender and trim limit switches. I know that one of the them (not sure which) was not connected yet. The mechanic said the wiring around the pump was bypassed or something once before and it was a fairly big job to rewire everything so we left it.

RRitt

Captain

go to harbor frieght and buy a 5000psi pressure gauge. Go to Napa and get a a pile of brass adapters so you can hook gauge up. Low pressure high volume pumps run in the neighborhood of 1500psi. High pressure low volume pumps run in the 3000psi range.