Amp install

jmfrost

Seaman
Anyone ever use a car amp in the boat? I only intend this to be a temporary solution (1 season max). I can get my hands on a pretty decent one pretty cheap ($50 or less), but I didn't want to put it in if it was only going to last a week. I'm sure moisture is the determining factor, but wasn't sure if anyone would have any other input. TIA.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Amp install

Yes -- moisture is an issue. If you can mount it in a dry location it will last awhile but boats that sit for long periods on the water in all sorts of weather get moisture in nearly every nook & cranny.

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class

We did this in a friends pontoon. It lasted 2 years because he NEVER covered the thing (too lazy to put cover on) and the amp eventually rusted at the connections do to being in the elements. I believe IF he would have placed it in a more dry area and covered the boat from the elements it would still be working.

jmfrost

Seaman

I don't keep it on the water. We trailer it to and from. When we get home, I keep it in storage with the cover on it and a couple containers of damp rid. There's always the chance of it getting moisutre from rain, but I planned on installing it in the port storage locker where condensation is more of an issue than direct moisture. Like I said, if I could just get one season out of it, I would probably be happy.

slia67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try mounting it under the helm where it will stay dry. In a storage area in addition to the moisture, you do not get much air circulation. Heat is a byproduct of an amp and the heat will cause problems if you don't have ventalation.

brian102

Seaman Apprentice

ive had my car amp in there for 2 years now pushing a single 15, both still working fine, mine is tucked down one of the sides backin the engine area. just in the trays that run along the sides. never had a problem yet