Tohatsu 9.8 won't stay running

JET4

Cadet
I have a 2010 Tohatsu MFS9.8A3EPTS outboard. When I lift the neutral warm up lever the motor will fire up and run. When I lower the netural warm up lever it cuts right off.I let it warm up for 10 minutes and it still cuts off when you lower the lever.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 9.8 won't stay running

You likely have either one or both of the following:
1. Incorrectly adjusted idle stop screw.
2. Junk in the low-speed carb circuit.

Are you running a water-separating filter in the fuel line? If so, that should capture any reasonable amount of junk or water that may have been introduced via the fuel tank in so short a period of time.

Has the motor been run, then left shut down for a few weeks without emptying the carb? If so, low-quality fuel may have started to varnish up the low-speed carb circuit.

Since any EP motor requires dealer installation, and you have a 3-year warranty, ask your installing dealer to look at the problem. Of course, if the issue is bad fuel (and junk in the carb passages as a result), that is generally considered abuse -- or at least beyond the control of Tohatsu, and likely will not be covered by warranty.

JET4

Cadet
Re: Tohatsu 9.8 won't stay running

Yes I'm running a Tohatsu water/fuel separating filter.I will check the idle stop screw, Thanks