1996 150 hp johnson vro

T Smack

Cadet
Hi, I'm new to the board and have been doing some research on how to disable the VRO on this board and I read it some where the looper are a lil different than other and wondering if that would be true? I have a 1991 60 HP Johnson that i disabled now for 3 years and it's running great.

Now my question is, to disable this VRO on my 150 would it be the same way as I disable my 60 HP or doe the 150 have some other stuff I need to do to it since it's a looper V6?

Thanks,

T

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 150 hp johnson vro

That is the correct method.

BTW - Why are you disabling the OMS System? Is it broke?

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if your vro is working i'd leave it be. many people are under the impression that a vro causes many engine failures and they dont. somewhere there is an article explaining why people think engine failures are caused by a vro when most arent. try to find it. its good stuff

T Smack

Cadet

I recently purchased an outboard to rebuild that had low compression on a couple of cylinders. The guy I bought it from said the vro work but he is 100% sure since he got motor along with his boat and motor from an auction and he is dumping this to buy a new Yamaha. So im not sure the caused of it, it could be carb. related, vro, and other thing. But I think it will ease my mind if I disabled after I rebuild the powerhead and carb.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

VRO/OMS doesn't discriminate by cylinder. If the motor runs with a failed VRO, all cylinders don't get oil. It's very easy to check for proper operation. Put a mark on the oil tank at the current oil level. Run motor at high power for at least an hour and recheck oil level, then fill tank with measured amount of oil and see if it squares with what usage should be.

Run premix until your certain the VRO, or in your case OMS, is working correctly.

T Smack

Cadet

VRO/OMS doesn't discriminate by cylinder. If the motor runs with a failed VRO, all cylinders don't get oil. It's very easy to check for proper operation. Put a mark on the oil tank at the current oil level. Run motor at high power for at least an hour and recheck oil level, then fill tank with measured amount of oil and see if it squares with what usage should be.

Run premix until your certain the VRO, or in your case OMS, is working correctly.

Thanks I will give that a try once I rebuild it. How long does the original VRO usually last for?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Well, I sold a boat about 5 years ago with a '85 J 140 which was upgraded to VRO II during warranty. The pump was 22 years old and still going strong and had over 1000 hours on the motor. No guarantees, but you really can't know, but certainly yours is not very old.

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had a 1986 40. my dad was the original owner. i'm not too sure if that year was vro1 or vro2 but i sold the engine with the original vro and never had a problem. the engine had 500 hours on it. since then i've had 2 other vro engines and never had a problem.
another way to test the vro would be to crank the engine with the line from the vro to the carbs disconnected and fed into a clear bottle. if the fuel has a greenish color (or whatever color your oil is) your vro would be working. if it is clearish its not working. you can run your engine with the fuel lines disconnected for a FEW seconds and it will not do damage. just dont let the carbs run dry