Beginner boater..

jjmjmm

Recruit
My husband and I just bought our first boat, a 14 ft jon boat. It came with the trailer and 3 motors, we have no clue about boating.. thought I would see if I could get some rules and regulations on it before we try to take it out.. Also, we were told the motors all work, how do we check to see if they do??:redface:

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Beginner boater..

Whoa, some wide open questions right there. Ok, I?ll try to narrow some stuff down:

First, the best thing you can do as a new boater is take a boaters safety course and learn with your husband how to launch, drive and trailer the boat.

Second, get the necessary required gear for your size boat. Depending on what state you live in, you will have different safety requirements. Requirements might be vessel registration, registration decals, registration numbers, boaters? education card, PFD for each person aboard, type b-1 fire extinguisher, muffler, horn, whistle, and flares.

Third, start boating in your driveway.

Begin with whatever you want, but start doing simple maintenance and set up before your rig even leaves the house.

Trailer: check the hubs, tire pressure, lighting, vehicle connections, and straps to hold your boat down.

Boat: have all your gear loaded and tied down properly.

Motor: charge your battery and use fresh gas. Pick whatever motor you want to use and mount it on the boat. With either muffs or a garbage can full of water, try starting the motor with the bottom 1/3 of the motor in the water. If it starts, it should start spitting water from somewhere right away. If it?s not spitting water from the upper half of the motor, shut it down and take it to a shop for servicing. If it does, you?re probably ready to go.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats. Before we can give you much advice we need some info. Where are you from? What kind of motors are they (size and brand)? How old are they?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

EDUCATION!

You NEED to take a safe boating class. US Power Squadron has good ones. Go to usps.org to find a chapter near where you live. There's enough risk out there- please don't add to it.

Does your state have a licensing requirement? Better find out.

Good luck and safe boating!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats! It has mostly been said above....... take a safety course.

Please feel comfortable and ask any questions....look around and check out the tabs at the top of the page. Many items in the Marine Store at better prices usually found locally ;)

Updating your profile helps many people with your advice.

Once again..... Welcome. :D