Evinrude 25hp and remotes

zhaan

Cadet
I have an Evinrude 25hp from 1985. The throttle goes so far on the side of the outboard before resistance is met from a spring or something similar. I am guessing, as there was a tiller arm attached when I bought it, this is because of the tiller arm.

The throttle will go further but if let go will spring back to a low rev position.

How do I disengage the spring to enable smooth acceleration use by the remote rather than meeting this resistance everytime I try to push forward on the remote.

Just been looking through other posts about a similar problem.

The remote isnt attached yet, the stiffness/resistance I am encountering is when trying to move the throttle lever by hand on the side of the engine.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 25hp and remotes

There is an over-center device in the throttle linkage. Do you have it in gear? If in gear, the throttle control mostly advances the spark, with a small amount of carburetor opening. Once the spark is at full advance, the linkage goes past the over-center (spring) and kicks the carburetor wide open. All of that is normal operation.

If it isn't in gear, or stuff is out of adjustment (called link & sync), then it isn't going to work right

EDIT: "over center" may be a poor choice of words. Different motors use different methods of acheiving what I just described. But the end result is the same.

BTW, the reason for all this is better fuel economy at slightly reduced throttle without sacrificing much speed....on the ideal boat.

zhaan

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 25hp and remotes

Thank you F_R, you were spot on!

After a good hour of head scratching, I posted here, and got the solution! Again!

2 out of 2, thanks iBoats!

It was as simple as put it in gear and the throttle goes all the way.

Thanks again.