Where to start-Neutral to reverse grinding

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoulter

Cadet
First Post here so hopefully the dog pile is not too bad.

I was just gifted my old mans boat a 1985 Sea Ray Seville, 21ft cuddy cabin. It runs fine, however it has sat in Arizona for the past twelve to fourteen years. I have now brought it to Florida to use up here in the pan handle.

Question one which is my actually technical question-

1. Engine year-85? 4 cyl GM 170 HP, model-MCM 170MR, and serial number-A495158.

2. Type and model of outdrive, Mercruiser I/O

3. The problem I have with the boat is that when I go into reverse from neutral it will slip with a grinding noise and not set into gear. Sometimes it will go right into reverse(i.e. forward to reverse relative quickly) however when in neutral say drifting towards dock it will grind when put in reverse more often then just setting into reverse. The outdrive was rebuilt about six years ago and the boat only does a few lake trips every summer.

Question 2- I know there are a bunch of threads talking about winterizing and summerizing boat but, I know the boat has been neglected its require maintenance however due to it being not used allot and stored in a desert the results have not yet shown. What is a good place to get started maintenance wise and something?s I might forget to do bringing my boat from a lake environment to the Gulf? Links are more then welcome.

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Where to start-Neutral to reverse grinding

First off, Welcome!

On your 3rd bullet, sounds like your shift cable(s) might be wearing/stiff and or out of adjustment, just like mine (which is probably toast, I can't get into F)! The grinding is the clutch (ultimately controlled by your lower shift cable) trying to engage with F or R gear.

tindriver72

Cadet

I agree with BDS. It's probably your shift cable from your remote to the shift interupt. Worn/out of adjustment or both. There is a good section on adjusting both the upper and lower shift cables, and checking the play in the lower.

I put mine in the water, disconnected the upper shift cable, and manually shifted back and forth. Worked like a dream with no grinding. The Upper shift cable was simply too worn out to do the job anymore. I was able to adjust the cables to make it work for me w/o grinding, but a cable replacement is in line in the off season.

Also, have you replaced the stator with an alternator yet? I just did mine and the difference is amazing!!! Went from charging my batteries at 11.3 volts (not enough to start an engine) to 13.5!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard tindriver72, but after 3 months, I would suspect the original poster has fixed his boat by now and has gone boating.

Status
Not open for further replies.