VHF Radio

hostage

Lieutenant
I am looking for a VHF Radio for my 19ft Cuddy. I wanted to see if anyone had any good input. I live in upstate NY and I know you need a VHF to communicate with the lock and bridge operators on the Canal. We have gone on Lake Erie, but we haven't gone that far out (less than a mile). I think we will be doing most boating in the bay or on the finger lakes. I notice the mountable radios are more powerful ~25watts, but require a fairly large antenna and installation. I don't really see any reason why I would need something that powerful and in the case of an emergency it seems like a hand held would be better. I am looking at something that is waterproof/resistant and ~6watt.

Any suggestions or input would be helpful. I know a lot of people advocate mounted ones for their range.

Thanks,
Hostage

NYBo

Admiral
Re: VHF Radio

The safest setup would be a fixed-mount (and antenna) plus a hand-held for backup. That's what my boat will have once I get the fixed-mount and antenna installed. A hand-held will be fine for the locks- you can only use the one-watt transmit setting on channel 13 anyway, which is the channel most locks and bridges use. A hand-held is great if you need to abandon ship. Mine has DSC and GPS capabilities. I bought it right here at iboats.

mikphilips

Cadet

Ditto on fixed mount 25w units.
Some things I've learned to look for:
1. Speaker you can hear at WOT
2. Mounting location that keeps mic handy but unit out of the way
3. Mic with basic function switches (Vol, Squelch, Ch)
4. Mount antenna on quick-release swivel base, to allow easy antenna mast stowing if you park the boat inside or store outside with a cover.
5. Mount a simple VHF use guide w/ instructions on emergency calling, channel use, bridge calling, etiquette for the Jr users.
6. Weather (Wx) reception with storm alert reduces unpleasant surprises.
7. Buy a handheld that is submersible, in case you do.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

The handheld alone is fine for the canal. Any mounted radio that has a 1w/25w switch will be used on the 25w setting only if you get in trouble in the middle of the lake. For that you'll also need the 8-foot antenna. The swivel base will allow the boat to clear many of the bridges on the canal without waiting for a bridge operator.

On my 20-foot cuddy, the old RayJeff was mounted face-up on the vinyl-covered plywood next to my right knee. The mic mount was directly above it on the gauge panel.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Most handheld range is about 2 miles plus the range of the other station.
Most fixed mounts with a 8 foot 6 db antenna is about 4.7 miles plus the range of the other station.

Also a new fixed mount is required to have a DSC distress button that will call the Coast Guard and give them you position. It must be connected to a GPS and have a MMSI number but it could save your life.

There are a few handhelds that have a GPS built in and have the DSC distress also but there not cheap.

Some Links to Coast Guard DSC Rescue 21 system below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-f4nhnBThg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdkxsWBncSc&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQk5MRwuxgo&feature=channel

hostage

Lieutenant

That is pretty cool, I like how DSC kind of hops from boats in range, until the signal reaches a coast guard.

I realize you can never be to safe. Though if the range of the is increased by the stations do I really need anything more than a handheld if I never go out far into the lake and that would be on a calm day when many other boats are out on the lake? Again I have a 19ft boat and I don't think I am comfortable traversing across Ontario. If I had a larger boat and was more comfortable about going far offshore, then I would get a DSC or mounted radio hands down.

Thanks for your input and education!

-Hostage

hostage

Lieutenant

Hrmm...The more I think about it, I did see a $79 mountable VHF unit w/ DSC. I also have this old Tripmate Delorme GPS receiver that puts out NMEA information. I think I can wire it to the VHF unit and have a fun project while saving a few bucks. I don't know how excited I would be to have a giant antenna attached to the hull of my boat.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

four foot shakespeare antenna is very slender and with a quick mount fitting just the right unit for a 19 foot boat....

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

four foot shakespeare antenna is very slender and with a quick mount fitting just the right unit for a 19 foot boat....

Digital also makes a very good 4 foot antenna. I think the white antenna is the 528VW, and the black antenna is the 528VB. Most on this forum will recommend an 8 foot antenna, and for good reason, but only you know about the size of the water you boat in. For my local lakes, a 4 footer is more than enough. If I was an offshore boater I would upgrade to a quality 8 footer.