Is this stereo system any good?

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Is this stereo system any good?

They have a rep for being cheap but okay. Do you need the four speakers that come with it? If not, you can buy a great head unit for the price of that combo.

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pyle is a cheap brand (as you can see from the price). If you're ok with budget sound, and the higher potential for mechanical failure, this would work. It would at least give you a stereo.

But I've found that you can usually step up to mid-range products for not that much more money if you shop around for good deals.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can somone recommend a good head unit for under $150, and (2) 6-1/2 2 way speakers? That is really all I need.

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to amazon, get these. All for less than $200, and it's good quality gear.

Sony CDXM10

Polk db651

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a word of caution with onlinecarstereo.com. I just purchased some gear from them because they had a huge selection and great prices. Well, come to find out they didn't have some of what I ordered in stock and never really told me. I had to e-mail them when I noticed that only part of my order had shipped, after which they told me that it was out of stock and that I should have called and checked with them before ordering to see if it was in stock. I also placed two calls to them, was put on hold both times, and they never came back to the line. I did finally end up getting what I needed from them, but you should at least verify that what you want is in stock before placing an order.

dan4081

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a word of caution with onlinecarstereo.com. I just purchased some gear from them because they had a huge selection and great prices. Well, come to find out they didn't have some of what I ordered in stock and never really told me. I had to e-mail them when I noticed that only part of my order had shipped, after which they told me that it was out of stock and that I should have called and checked with them before ordering to see if it was in stock. I also placed two calls to them, was put on hold both times, and they never came back to the line. I did finally end up getting what I needed from them, but you should at least verify that what you want is in stock before placing an order.

Good heads up there brick.
I should have posted a disclaimer that I was suggesting that stereo as opposed to suggesting that vendor!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Go to amazon, get these. All for less than $200, and it's good quality gear.

Sony CDXM10

Polk db651

Just keep in mind that some manufacturers don't consider Amazon to be an authorized retailer, which means they won't honor their warranties if you have a problem. They refer to items purchased on Amazon as grey market items. Sony and Polk may not have that policy, but Clarion does.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can I use a car stero deck or does it have to be marine?

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same EXACT Scenario with me.......It was very annoying!

Price was good - Customer Service ..... needs improvement!

Oh...and BTW - Bought the Sony CDX-M10.....So far so good....works great!

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am done with sony for good!!!!!! Every single thing I have ever owned from them broke just after warranty.

Any other good products? I am struggling to find a good stereo system as I know nothing about them.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I am done with sony for good!!!!!! Every single thing I have ever owned from them broke just after warranty...

WOW, I've had the exact opposite experience. Today I just removed a Sony head unit (1995) and cd changer (1998) from my isuzu to add bluetooth and ipod control; they both still work and will probably just end up in the yard sale.

Can you use auto units in the boat? Sure. How long they last depends on how they are installed and whether or not you keep the boat covered.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Polk, Alpine, Rockford-Fosgate ... not a whole lot more money than the cheepo brands like Dual and Pyle. The sound quality difference is dramatic.

Two-way speakers (not dual-cone) mounted in proper enclosures or baffles can sound decent. Add a power amp for loud & clear sound. All for about $250 from any of the above manufacturers, whose low-end gear is far better than the competitors' average stuff.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Can I use a car stero deck or does it have to be marine?

This question has been raised several times in the last couple of months. I will tell you what the authorized Clarion tech told me and you can make your own call. According to him, the only difference between car and marine units was the conformal coating applied to the circuitry. He says nearly all units have that now and advised me that the next time I replaced my HU I would probably get just as much life out of one intended for a car. I will not comment on that advice as I'm not qualified to do so, but there it is.;)

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am done with sony for good!!!!!! Every single thing I have ever owned from them broke just after warranty.

Any other good products? I am struggling to find a good stereo system as I know nothing about them.

If Sony's a no go for you, I'd recommend looking to Clarion next if you want a marine grade deck and don't want to spend over $150. Kenwood is probably the only other choice out there that you might consider as a last option.

If you go with a car stereo (shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not getting water splashed all over it) I'd recommend something from Pioneer Premier. I've always gotten great sound from them, and never had any mechanical issues. Something like this....http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Premier-DEH-P410UB-MP3-Receiver/dp/B001OS7FGO

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would definitely go with the Alpine. As you can see from the reviews it has on Crutchfield, they make a very good product. I've got one in my truck and love it. It also has front USB and Aux inputs which is great for ipods/mp3 players. And you can't go wrong with Crutchfield. One of the best companies I've ever dealt with.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I would definitely go with the Alpine. As you can see from the reviews it has on Crutchfield, they make a very good product. I've got one in my truck and love it. It also has front USB and Aux inputs which is great for ipods/mp3 players. And you can't go wrong with Crutchfield. One of the best companies I've ever dealt with.

Yep. Nice folks at Crutchfield. Authorized retailer too.