Skeggard?

UTboater

Recruit
Hi everyone,
I have a 1994 Volvo Penta Drive.

I just broke the very tip off the back of my skeg. Didn't think it would be a big deal but my handling and planning are definitely affected.

What does everyone think of the 'Skeggard' stainless steel bolt on? Is this just a cheap band-aid or can I expect it to be good solution short of replacing the entire foot?

Your thoughts would be awesome, Thanks.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Skeggard?

been there done that!! I did similiar to what you said, broke the skeg clean off just below the gear housing..luckily!!

I brought my boat to a welder and he welded a new skeg on, sanded and painted..you would never know it was ever broken.. cost roughly 200 bucks..

the bolt on???well..i cant say i have ever had experience with it but I'm not a fan of bolt on anything that band aids...

I would call your boat repair shop and see what they get for welding on a new piece..i'm sure its less expensive and more correct fix. you definitely should not need to replace the foot if you broke it well below the gear case...

UTboater

Recruit

Yeah I like the welding idea.

Pretty sure mine is aluminium. Is yours? Was the new "skeg" a piece of aluminum welded back on?

I don't know that much about welding....I assume you can weld aluminum? Do you know anything about it?

Cool, thanks.

D

DJ

The issue with welding skegs is the HEAT. Seals do not like heat. Sometimes you can get lucky and the welding does not effect them. Sometimes it does.

The Skeg Guard is a good product. I believe they are available, here on iboats.

heathk2003

Cadet

I put a skegguard on my old silverline boat with a mercruiser. Very easy install and corrected the handling issues it had with the broken skeg. I like that the bolts act as a sheer and will break first before tearing your whole lower unit up. The old boat still has it on after 4 years of use and still looks and performs as good as the day i put it on. Also made the uglies part of the boat look great and matches up well with the stainless prop!! So from me i would say it was money well spent. Just my couple cents!!

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

In my case the break was low enough that the heat from welding wasn't an issue. As UT mentioned his break is even lower than mine.

Aluminum can be welded and at much lower temps than steel..so heating the skeg should be ok..

The bolt on has its advantage as well but now you have holes above the break..I would be worried the holes will cause a bit of weakness.. to each his own of course..

The welding , in my opinion is the best and most correct way to fix it...and is permannent untill you break it off like you did the last one..hah hahah

Just remember "where ever you go, there you are"

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

I have used the Skeg Guard on a Merc 90HP, it was shipped in one day FedEx priority to Canada and install was a 5 minute job. Quality of the product is very high and I actually think it looks better than a black skeg but not everyone does. The bolting system is engineered fasteners with self locking teeth on the backside of the fasteners, very clean.

Considering it works so well and doesn't affect speed in any way and cost less than half of a repair I give the product 9 out of 10, the only reason why not a 10 is because not everyone likes a polished SS skeg. The customer service when I e-mailed them and delivery time deserves a 10 out of 10.

I wouldn't think twice about using the product again and I actually am considering installing on a skeg that has no damage since it acts as a safety break away device in case of a log or rock strike. It might save you a lower unit one day.

Excellent product and excellent company to deal with, wouldn't hesitate to use them again.:cool: