Modern Fuel Additives vs Ethanol

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class
Morning all! I am putting the finishing touches on my old 70 hp. I've re-built all three carbs, fuel pump & check valves, new plumbing, repalced head gasket & head cover gasket, new plug wires (got my solid core RED wires!!), etc., etc. Well, after reading this board religiously and doing further research on ethanol in gasoline I have a question for the board...

is there ANY fuel additive on the market today that will actually counter the effects of ethanol on hoses, gaskets, seals, other rubber parts? I've seen products advertised here, on every Saturday morning "guy" car show on TV and elsewhere. Other than Sea-Foam, as I've used and can vouch for this product, I have never put much faith in snake oils, liquid fixes, tune up's in a can (remember the Wynn products or Justice Bros.?) and all of the other products that claim to fix the world in just one can/use.
So is there a product that I can add to my fuel that will protect against the ethanol and not cause other issues? Inquiring minds like mine need to know these things!!! :D

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Modern Fuel Additives vs Ethanol

Stabil Marine(Walmart $20/quart), fuel/water seperator(Walmart $27), and use only marine specified fuel hoses(not automotive), they cost more but are worth the difference. Drain your carbs several times a year, keep check on engine mounted fuel filter. Go to: Marine Fuel Additives, for lots of information about the various products, ingredients, issues, etc. You're probably not going to have any problems just as long as you are aware and stay ahead of it. Good Luck!