Boating the MS river

stevetedder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What about a 24 pontoon with a johnson 90 on the MS river at Memphis? Enough power? Safe overall? Have never seen one out there but just dont know for sure. Any help here is appreciated.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating the MS river

I'm not a MS River boater, but i have some aquaintances that have. They were in bass boats with 200 plus horse power. One of the stalled in a "swirl" or giant eddy in the river and the 200 hp barely pulled him out. If you are talking about a lake off of the river it might be good, but there's no way i would take my family out on a party barge without some serious horsepower!

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There must be serious changes in the river from North to South. Up here in Northern Illinois, from the Quad Cities to Belview, WI that is a pretty common boat on the river.(I don't go south very often) I have taking my 14' flat bottom with a 15hp fishing from lock thirteen at Clinton upstrem several miles and back with never an issue. My 21' BR I have taken on two day excursions and never seen anything, even in rough weather, that would scare me to take a 20' pontoon out.

But then again, I must assume the river changes, so my info may be worthless to you:redface:.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'm not overly cautious and I wouldn't do it. That rascal's big and treacherous at Memphis.

BuckyBadger

Seaman Apprentice

This is our third season with a 20' 60hp pontoon on the Mississippi in southern Wisconsin. I have not once felt that this setup was not adequate to handle the environment.

I would still love to have some more horsepower of course, but it has nothing to do with concern for my family's safety.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Not trying to be a smart***, but Bucky have you seen the Big Muddy at Memphis? Not a rhetorical question, because I've never seen what she looks like up your way.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not overly cautious and I wouldn't do it. That rascal's big and treacherous at Memphis.

This is probably what the OP was looking for.
So, was I correct in assuming the river drastically changes down South? I thought that because of a thread I saw last year.
Thanks for this, I will pass on the next thread about the Mighty Miss South of Burlington.
That must really be terrible to have that big river and not be able to enjoy it:(.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've never seen what she looks like up your way.

Incoop,

If you ever get the chance, it is more than worth making a trip up here. She is beutiful! Sand islands, beaches almost everwhere. There are high shear cliffs and tree lines gallore. The farther North you go, the prettier it is.
You can plan two, three day trips and have hotels lined up along the route and not want to quit traveling.
It truly is worth making a vacation out of.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Might have to do that some day Thad. Two of my favorite things, water and seeing new places. My uncle used to float his party barge down the Arkansas from Oklahoma to south Arkansas. He always invited me but at the time I was working at a job that paid by the hour so I couldn't really afford to do it, or so I thought. In retrospect I regret not going at least once. Probably going to do something similar soon on my barge. Maybe that will be a good warm up. ;)

BuckyBadger

Seaman Apprentice

Incoop - Just affirming Thad's point. I'm just a little bit north of Thad and it is common practice up this way. But yes local conditions should be considered and I hope my post didn't come across as 'go ahead all is fine'

lncoop

Vice Admiral

You guys are really making me want to come up there and spend a week on the river.:cool:

stevetedder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input everyone. After speaking with the guy at the Memphis Yacht club Marina and the dangers involved with such a strong current, logs and barge traffic I think Im gonna pass on the pontoon boat out there. It has just been really tempting being such a long river and located so close to me.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I understand. I grew in Jonesboogie and every time I crossed that bridge I daydreamt about being on that river. I knew a guy who gutted a big pleasure boat, put a huge outboard on it and used it to haul camping and fishing gear to islands. I'm talking giant tent, generator, the works. He would catch gargantuan catfish. He was always after me to go with him. Wish I had. I've tried looking him up, but he's off the grid.

ecru028

Cadet

I think your making a wise decesion not going. That sucker is bad news from Memphis South. I've heard horror stories of boats in those swirls and that aint no place for the family if you know what I mean. If your around Memphis, Pickwick would be a good safe alternative.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Mississippi is a totally different beast South of St. Louis since there are no more locks between St. Louis and the Gulf. The locks basically turn the river into a series of slow flowing lakes above St. Louis, which are perfect for boating. Downstream of St. Louis though and things are quite different, I'd like to take the trip from St. Louis to Memphis, but I would want to be in a 30+ foot cruiser with plenty of power.

Caravelle207

Recruit

That is crazy to hear. Never thought that it would be that bad. All of my river boating has been on the Ohio in southern Illinois and the Cumberland up to Lake Barkely.

sasto

Captain

That place is harry in a 65' Sportfish with 2400 HP. Keep the dirty side down..

stevetedder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I finally did it, couldnt resist the temptation any longer. Must say it was an interesting trip, not what I would call a leisurely cruise and not for the faint of heart. The current wasnt necessarily all that strong but the water was very turbulent. It felt as though I was spinning in the mud going upstream. I was told this is because a pontoon is so light.
The river barges throw huge wakes that topped my bow. The guy who works at the marina told me he has to rescue people fairly regular on pontoon's out there . 17 miles each way to downtown from Riverside marina at Mckellar lake. Cruising downtown was kind of cool though.I would do it again but I certainly think a pontoon is not the best designed boat for this trip.I didnt release the wheel the whole time.
DSCN4843.jpg
DSCN4844.jpgDSCN4834.jpg

the vision

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're brave maybe try bungee jumping next, or even sky diving.If you get real brave come down here (south Louisiana) and jump on the mighty muddy. With the boat of coarse..

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Ha! That's awesome Steve. Glad it worked out for you. Nice looking barge.