Stator does it provide the spark

Speedwell69

Cadet
Hi this may be a stupid question but here goes. I have a Mercury 60hp 1984 that now does not have a spark at the plugs I have tested the stator according to the maual and it has no reading whatsoever when I connect the ohmeter between the blue and red stator leads is this likely to be the cause of no spark at the plugs.

Thanks

Michael

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Stator does it provide the spark

Yes,it is very possible. to be sure do the stator & trigger output voltage tests.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

When you say "no reading," do you mean "infinite resistance" or "no resistance"?

My book says that for low-speed windings resistance test there should be 5400-6200 ohm between red and blue leads.
(Although I have been told on this forum that the book is wrong and that reading should be taken between blue lead and powerhead ground...)

Either way, check it again, both between those leads and between blue and powerhead. And make sure your meter is in the correct ohm range. If it is infinite resistance, then the low speed windings are broken for sure; if no (or extremely low) resistance, the windings are shorted to ground.

As stated above, DVA testing the actual voltage output on the stator is the definitive test; however, if you are truly getting infinite or (near) zero resistance, then the stator is definitely shot.

EDIT: and yes, the stator makes the power that the switchbox distributes to the coils (as timed by the trigger), which then fire the spark plugs...so if bad stator, then weak or no spark.

Speedwell69

Cadet

When you say "no reading," do you mean "infinite resistance" or "no resistance"?

My book says that for low-speed windings resistance test there should be 5400-6200 ohm between red and blue leads.
(Although I have been told on this forum that the book is wrong and that reading should be taken between blue lead and powerhead ground...)

Either way, check it again, both between those leads and between blue and powerhead. And make sure your meter is in the correct ohm range. If it is infinite resistance, then the low speed windings are broken for sure; if no (or extremely low) resistance, the windings are shorted to ground.

As stated above, DVA testing the actual voltage output on the stator is the definitive test; however, if you are truly getting infinite or (near) zero resistance, then the stator is definitely shot.

EDIT: and yes, the stator makes the power that the switchbox distributes to the coils (as timed by the trigger), which then fire the spark plugs...so if bad stator, then weak or no spark.

Betweeen the red and blue lead I get no reading whatsoever (needle on meter does not move at all) between the blue and ground I get no reading whatsoever between the red and ground I get a reading of 130ohms

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

OK, high-speed windings should be 125-175 ohm, so I believe the meter is working right. The infinite resistance on the low-speed windings indicates a broken winding in the low-speed. Therefore the stator will not put out enough juice at low rpm (say below 2000-2500 rpm) to create spark. That stator is toast.

You'll need a flywheel puller to replace the stator; and ideally a DVA adapter for your VOM meter (does your meter read voltage?) so you can check up on the replacement stator...and to test the trigger, too.

Sending PM.