v135 black max, rebuilt carbs, now getting alarm?!

section8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. i rebuilt my carbs last week which consisted of removing them and replacing all gaskets and i cleaned all jets and metal parts with carb cleaner and also replaced all the fuel lines and the smaller tubes that go from crankcase to carbs and other weird places. all went well on the water. smoothest its ever run since i got it. up on plane so smooth. the needles and seats looked perfect. the problem is that i get an alarm sound from the controls at high speeds. it would do one beep here and there but then got to the point that it would do one long beep then four short. beeeeeep, beep beep beep beep. it might have done more small beeps but i would slow down before that could happen. it doesnt beep at all at slow and medium speeds. just fast on plane speeds. any ideas where to look. the telltale streams water fine at idle and disapears when underway. i assume the water leaves through the prop at that point. the thermostats open but one side of the motor opens about a minute earlier than the other(v135, 3 cyl on each side with 2 stats)Thank you guys much.!

j_martin

Admiral
Re: v135 black max, rebuilt carbs, now getting alarm?!

Hey guys. i rebuilt my carbs last week which consisted of removing them and replacing all gaskets and i cleaned all jets and metal parts with carb cleaner and also replaced all the fuel lines and the smaller tubes that go from crankcase to carbs and other weird places. all went well on the water. smoothest its ever run since i got it. up on plane so smooth. the needles and seats looked perfect. the problem is that i get an alarm sound from the controls at high speeds. it would do one beep here and there but then got to the point that it would do one long beep then four short. beeeeeep, beep beep beep beep. it might have done more small beeps but i would slow down before that could happen. it doesnt beep at all at slow and medium speeds. just fast on plane speeds. any ideas where to look. the telltale streams water fine at idle and disapears when underway. i assume the water leaves through the prop at that point. the thermostats open but one side of the motor opens about a minute earlier than the other(v135, 3 cyl on each side with 2 stats)Thank you guys much.!

The beeps are an oil alert signal.

The first thing you should do is mix oil with your main fuel tank at 50:1 (guess is OK) just in case it really is not getting enough oil.

One long beep and 4 short ones is normally the power on self test for the oil alert module. This could be as simple as a loose power wire to that module or a flaky ignition switch.

Beyond that, there is a complete test sequence for the oil alert system in the factory service manual for your engine. It will get you to the actual failure with the least chance of a false diagnosis.

hope it helps
john

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It could be a wire problem I had this happen when my wire going to my tempeture sending unit melted it sent intermiten signals. Check all the wires in the boxes and up top.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If it's not peeing out water at ALL times the impeller probably needs to be changed.J

section8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had the same peeing telltale thing on my old johnson and someone said its normal to not see water when underway. does anyone else notice this on old 2 strokes. hey john: the oil mix tubes also got replaced and the short one between the oil pump and the gas line had 1/4 inch air bubble i couldnt get out bleeding it but i could see oil dripping intermittently through the bubble when run on muffs in the yard. after that day out the bubble is gone! can i plug this tube and premix in the gas tank without harming the oil pump system just to test it? i dont have the factory manual. i have the seloc but in its defense its an awesome manual for THIS motor cuz it only covers three types so everything is my motor and not vague all motors but it dont have this alarm test! any other ideas while i go out and look for loose wires? THANK YOU GUYS

j_martin

Admiral

Mix your fuel 50:1, leave the pump alone except for troubleshooting, and carry a spare spark plug or 2 if you're joy riding while you're waiting for the factory manual.

Just a thought. The trigger harness and the harness to the oil alert lie in the same space on top of the engine. That might be why throttle position has something to do with it. If the screw on the purple wire were loose at the terminal strip on the starboard side over the switchboxes, it would exhibit exactly the symptoms you describe. Same thing if the crimp on the purple wire were bad.

hope it helps
john