Mercruiser 3.0

duramax07tmd

Cadet
I am looking to buy a 1999 Bayliner with a Mercruiser 3.0 inboard/outboard motor. Everything in an on the boat looks pretty good. Is there anything i need to look out for on a Mercruiser motor? Are they good motors and easy to work on. I do not know much about boat motors. I just want to make sure that if there is ever a problem with the motor it can be easily fixed. Thanks for any input!

Trace

UpperUpsilon

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercruiser 3.0

It doesn't look good until a sea-trial, make sure you do that. As you can see, I we have the same vintage boat and its great. Parts availability is through the roof.

duramax07tmd

Cadet

Well that is good to know. Hopefully i will end up getting in. I hope the motor is in good shape.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Well that is good to know. Hopefully i will end up getting in. I hope the motor is in good shape.

There are a zillion 3.0L's out there...and they are rock solid. Easy to work on, and still in production.

If you have the ability to do a compresion check, that will verify a lot. Look for water in the oil...but this may not show up until after you run it.

Good luck...and happy boating!