'88 OMC 4.3L High RPMs Question

espnman

Recruit
First post/boat so bear with me guys,

Bought an '88 Chris Craft Cavalier 19ft with a 4.3L OMC last week and have had her on the water 4 times now. The first 3 trips were great and I was pulling a skier with 5 people in the boat at ~4000 rpms at 31mph.

After the third time out I took her to shell to refill the 28 gallon tank. Filled it up so much that some gas spilled out of the fuel vent. Not sure if that is relevent?

When I took it out for the 4th time (full of gas) with only 4 people in the boat, I was having trouble getting above 27mph at 4000 rpms. I adjusted the trim to see if that would help, but no dice. I even had everyone in the boat switch to various seating positions to see if it was weight distribution.

I just couldn't get the same OOMPH that I had the first couple times out. The first time out I had it above 40mph at around ~4600 rpms...I wouldn't dare try to get to 40 now.

I also noticed during the 4th trip that the boat was pulling hard to the left. This made me think the problem was the prop? But, the prop seems to look the same as it did before the first few trips.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Keith