bellows replacement/shift cable question

hoot

Chief Petty Officer
replacing all bellows. read great instructions from trent and others on how to do it. need help now. pulled the outdrive (1978, 250 CI IL6 Merc), exhaust bellows, and shift cable bellows. pulled plastic clevis in boat at upper end of lower shift cable. pulled set screw in shift slider. cable core moves about 6 inches both directions, but doesn't want to come out. one post says to remove the stainless steel tube. is this the tube in the boat that the brass barrel screws onto? another post said to pull slider at outdrive. mine is held on by a cylinderical clamp that cannot be removed except by cutting cable. and what about the brass fitting in the gimbal that the shift cable runs into? does it need to come out? help please!! :confused:

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: bellows replacement/shift cable question

The inner cable probably won't come out due to the end of the cable being crimped by the set screws. Remove the tube with the barrel nut, grab the slide on the outside and snatch it out. It will come, just may be hard. The removal of the tube will allow the outer core of the cable to be removed from the transom assembly. If you take the inner core inside the boat and stick the end into the opposite end of outer cable, you will pull the inner core thru as you pull the outer out. This will make reinstalling the outer easier. When you get ready to reinstall the outer, stick the end of the inner in the end and it will guide the outer back thru the transom without hanging up. Inner outer upper downer, if you ain't confused by now, you never will be.

Trent

Captain

Cappy...After all that...Im dissy! Must be all the short jokes Iv been getting! :) You about ready for me to treat ya to dusty's? I know ya cant turn down a free meal!

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

:eek: Thanks, i think. From what i have read, it looks like the shift slide comes out the back end with the inner cable still attached. Then the outer cable is pushed, pulled, or somehow yanked thru the transom. Is there any reason to remove the cable fitting in the gimbal? Can the boot be fed over the boat end of the cable and slid down to the gimbal? No one has mentioned the spriral cable heat protector. Looks like it needs to come off to get the cable thru the transom. oh, by the way, i have ordered the Seloc manual for this engine, hope it helps.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

latest progress; wife had birthday and had to spend some time with her, but did get stainless tube off. the shift cable is braided and is attached into a stainless hollow rod with a smaller end that the set screws attach to. the cable slides back until the stainless rod hits something inside the brass sleeve over the black outer casing. manual will arrive today. looks like an all winter project.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

received the manual today. very good info, answers a lot of questions. SELOC did a good job with the shift cable and bellows section. the internet guides are good but no one has included what really happens, like how the small brass sleeve on the shift cable will fall into the sump and how when the outdrive is removed, greasy sludge will run out on your hands and shoes. and how many times you will bust your shin climbing in and out of the boat!! and what about the muskrat poison?? anyone know about that?? BTW, the SELOC manual shows a picture of the exhaust tube that some have asked about.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome to the wunnerful world of boat mechanics, hoot....swear like a sailor yet? when ya get real mad, then you can swear like a damm boat mechanic!