Winterizing 165hp Closed System

beckerdg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Winterizing 165hp Closed System

Not sure which 165 you have, but I have a MCM170 224cid. Closed cooling system. I don't do a whole lot. <br /><br />I always change the oil, engine and outdrive, grease fittings on drive, and bearings on trailer at the end of the season. Then... <br /><br />Check the antifreeze on the freshwater cooling side change if it is old.<br /><br />Lower the front of the boat and pull the end off the heat exchanger, ensure it drains. Have to lower the front of the boat to get all the water to drain. Look for any blockage and general shape of the exchanger. Raise the front of the boat and pour a cup of antifreeze in it. I worry about a small amount of water accumulating and freezing. Close it up.<br /><br />Make sure outdrive is full down so it drains, make sure the plug is out so the bilge does not accumulate water. Should always be stored this way anyway. <br /><br />Put a cover on the boat and wonder if I should do more.

Mikedg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One great way to ensure the open side is fully winterized or for that matter that any I/O or I/B is safe for the winter is to completely fill the system with non toxic antifreeze using a homemade feed system that works whether you use ear muffs or an adapter for an I/B.<br /><br />1.Get a 5-gallon pail and mount the appropriate diameter plumbing fitting in the side, at the bottom. Fitting should be the diameter required to connect the appropriate diameter hose to your ear muff or inlet line of the I/B.<br /><br />2. Place the pail higher that the engine and fill with straight water.<br /><br />3. Start engine and warm it up while continuing to supply fresh water.<br /><br />4. When the engine is warm, allow fresh water to deplete and add antifreeze as required.<br /><br />5. When antifreeze exits the lower unit or exhaust ports, shut down, the job is complete.

DWRIGHT

Cadet

WOULD ANYONE KNOW WHERE I COULD GET A MANUAL FOR THIS ENGINE ONLINE?

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Try E-bay they usually have tons of manuals for sale