What the heck is it...

robertldawson

Recruit
OK, this is my first post here -- be gentle... :)

I'm not "new" to boating and watersports, but this is a bit of a "new" issue for me...

My wife has been in my cornflakes for a bit to get something more "family friendly" than my bass boat. I didn't know what she could possibly mean by that, so I had her clearly and succinctly describe what she wanted. Then, I went on the hunt.

What she wanted, having grown up in a family of water skiers was an open-bow, inboard / outdrive. No sweat. She gave me my budget and my marching orders.

I did what I'd do when contemplating any purchase: 1.) List of required features and functions, 2.) Check List for Evaluating Quality & Condition, 3.) Pray to God I don't screw this up -- it is for my wife and all...

I found the boat. Advertised (on CraigsList) as a 20' Bowrider with a 4.3L V6. Took the boat out, put it through its paces, had my bride drive it out, etc. And, it checked out very well. Next step, my mechanic evaluated the mechanical components and a very good friend with a great deal more experience than me evaluated the hull and other "marine" items. Again, all as well as advertised -- great hull in pristine condition, and a nearly flawless interior.

Checked valid current registration against DNR Records (They are responsible for boating registration in my state), and ran a boat check report. Again all clean and as they should be...

But then...

The boat came back both in my state's registration database and the boat check as a a "Sorenson Sprayer 20.5". The hull ID SORXXXXXXXXX actually ties to a company called "Sorenson Sprayer, Inc. Worthington, MN". They make (wholesale) agricultural equipment...

So, what in the heck is it? :)

Don't get me wrong; I now have a BEAUTIFUL boat in exceptional condition which my wife and kids love. But, I'm just curious... For all the boats I've owned (or dreamed of owning), I never pictured myself owning one made by a company whose primary market segment is Agricultural Aviation...

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What the heck is it...

Well written, concise, entertaining first post. I'll be as a "gentle" as I can.....have no answer to your question but would suggest two things (1) find out what the "Sprayer" sprays and (2) wear overalls while driving it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

They were in business from 82-85 ....... I would seriously check the flotation, stringer's and transom for water infiltration. That is an older boat and I would be cautious...... what outdrive is on it? Mercruiser, Volvo or OMC?

The interesting part is that the USCG data-base said they were a canoe mgf??

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I once owned an outboard motor made by 'National Pressure Cooker Company'. (Martin)

robertldawson

Recruit

Thanks, all -- for the quick replies...

So here's my summary thus far:
  • I have a pretty sharp 20' bowrider
  • Made by an agricultural company dabbling in canoes

• My Hull ID indicates an April 1990 Cert Date
  • The company got out of the boat game Friday, April 19, 1985

It's not just an orphan...

I can, at least, say it's a Mercruiser 4.3L with an Alpha One...

[The logical option would have been the knock-off Mercruzer with an Alfa One...] :)

I'll post some pics when I have a chance... So you might see my "mutt"...

I've got it in a covered slip on the local reservoir. I've checked on it OBSESSIVELY. It's taking on no water, and it's staying bone dry in its nether-regions... And, I've had a guy over 250 bouncing all over the place... The floors are solid. All I can really ***** about is some vinyl cracking on the drive seat...

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, all -- for the quick replies...

So here's my summary thus far:
  • I have a pretty sharp 20' bowrider
  • Made by an agricultural company dabbling in canoes

• My Hull ID indicates an April 1990 Cert Date
  • The company got out of the boat game Friday, April 19, 1985

It's not just an orphan...

I can, at least, say it's a Mercruiser 4.3L with an Alpha One...

[The logical option would have been the knock-off Mercruzer with an Alfa One...] :)

I'll post some pics when I have a chance... So you might see my "mutt"...

I've got it in a covered slip on the local reservoir. I've checked on it OBSESSIVELY. It's taking on no water, and it's staying bone dry in its nether-regions... And, I've had a guy over 250 bouncing all over the place... The floors are solid. All I can really ***** about is some vinyl cracking on the drive seat...

you may have a one-off boat...maybe built for the business owner.....I would find out how many more of them were made...you may have stumbled onto a collectors item... who knows....good work team , now back to headquarters for debrief and cocktails ! ...lol

Jeep Man

Commander

Don't worry about the pedigree. If it was built fairly well and was looked after, your ahead of the game. My tinny was made by "Aluminum Goods Mfg.", makers of kitchen pots and pans. It's now better known as Mirrocraft.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Don't worry about the pedigree. If it was built fairly well and was looked after, your ahead of the game. My tinny was made by "Aluminum Goods Mfg.", makers of kitchen pots and pans. It's now better known as Mirrocraft.

I prefer cast iron myself. Holds heat better.;)

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, I have an outboard made be Oliver tractor:eek:

Still have not figured out how to hook the plow to it:p.

If you're on the water, doesn't matter if it was made by Tupperware:D

robertldawson

Recruit

To end the suspense... [Drum Roll, Please]

I exchanged eMails with the present owner of Sorenson Sprayers. And, after some research on his part (actually contacting the previous owner of the company) he wrote:

Yes, Sorenson Sprayers manufactured all sorts of fiberglass products in addition to our actual line of sprayers (Boats, Canoes, Sleighs, etc)...

He went on to elaborate further on a couple of their more notable craft. This included a canoe which was very difficult to tip over, making it perfect for "canoe jousting" on the local reservoir... And, a 15' Runabout that could pull 2 grown men up skiing with a 40HP outboard because of it's hull design.

I very most likely have a one-off (or VERY few-off) boat. But, again -- It has a really nice hull (both design and condition). And, it runs out every time I turn the key clockwise...

I freely admit the degree to which this REALLY freaked me out at first. I've literally gone to my slip at 3:00AM to make sure the boat is still sitting right in the water... As opposed to hundreds of gallons of water filling the craft while the mooring lines strain to keep the windshield from being submerged...

But now, I'm good with it.

Just don't tell my wife. She'd never get in it again.

On Second Thought...:D

But, truly -- Thanks to all who responded. I found it very helpful both to be given resources for additional discovery, and to hear the stories of those who have sailed their dutch ovens before me... :)

oldjeep

Admiral

Pretty cool that you were able to get in touch with the manufacturer, wonder how the boat made its way to GA.