Repair spun prop or buy new?

Huron Angler

Admiral
Hey folks, I apparently have a spun hub on my '71 Merc 800 and I'm trying to decide whether or not to have it repaired by a prop shop or just buy a new one.

Ideally I'd like to do both so I have a spare on board.

I've read that this can normally be repaired for $30-$80. I'm also considering shipping it to have it repaired since I'm having a hard time finding a place to do the work locally.

Do Mercury dealers repair props?

Thanks for any insight, I'm clearly a rookie with prop issues.

SC1650

Seaman
Re: Repair spun prop or buy new?

I don't know of any Mercury dealers who repair props. They will take them in and send them out to a prop rebuilder. I am not sure how yours would be repaired, I have only dealt with rebuilding the blades on the props that I have. A new prop for your unit is going to be spendy. Particularly from Mercury. My prop for my 40 HP 4 cylinder is over $125.00. As with everything else in the boating world, it gets spendy.

I got the definition of BOAT today. "BUST OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND". Seems like that is the truth.

Steve

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are talking $65 to have the hub repaired in Dallas, TX. I'd have to think you can get someone in that area to do it for close to that. I have a '73 Merc 500, so it is reasonably close to your engine type. No Merc dealers here do it, but they send them out for you if you ask for it.

New prop will run you $100-$225 (aluminum), $250-???? (as much as you want to spend from what I've seen) for stainless. Stainless is worth the investment IMO. I have an aluminum as a back-up, but have spent more money over the years having aluminum ones remanned than on the two stainless I've bought. Just my experience.

Best of Luck!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks for the info...you guys are right about the Merc dealers. I talked to my local dealer and they ship them out every friday to a prop shop for rebuilds/repairs.

They quoted me $40-80 but when I told him it was a 2-bladed for a '71 80hp he told me I'd be on the cheaper end of the scale.:)

I would love to have a SS prop someday but I'll be sticking to aluminum for the time being.

Thanks again!

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another tip: I see you here all the time, go over to the Prop section and do a little cruising around and figure out what you need/want, then get over to the Ebay and hit up Craig's List. I bought my last SS prop for $115 off CL. Of Course, it was in January, but hey, Cheap is Cheap!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Yeah I posted this in the Merc forum and immedietely realized that it belongs in the prop forum:rolleyes::)

I should keep an eye out on craigslist/ebay once I get the specs on what size/pitch I should be running.

That is one great deal you got on the SS prop.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep. Lucky for me I live in hillbilly heaven. Ppl round here sell their boat equip to hunt in the fall, and sell guns so they can boat in the spring! LOL. Been doin pretty good on both ends. Got two Mossberg 835 shotguns this spring for less than $300.