Power Streering Leaking fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

crespino

Recruit
About 3 weeks ago I got the boat out for the first time and no problems. Went back a few days later and power steering fluid in bottom of boat and resevoir was empty on pump. Pulled boat out of lake took it home cleaned all the mess up and refilled pump started boat and Couldnt find a leak anywhere. About 10 minutes after shutting boat off power streering is empty and fluid running out of the boat hull drain. I can see if the cooler was leaking having fluid out of the exhaust but how is it getting in the boat?

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Power Streering Leaking fluid

If its draining into bilge in 10 mins, the leak is big enough you will find it eventually. Have someone keep watch while the boat is being driven.

YeboGogo

Seaman

Pretty common if the bolt on the back of the power steering pump isnt torqued properly. Also check all your hoses for cracks and tighten the clamps just in case!

Cptkid570

Ensign

Are you sure you checked the hose from the power steering pump to the power steering cooler?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Unless you tell us what kind of engine, drive setup , were just guessing .

Bondo

Staff member

Unless you tell us what kind of engine, drive setup , were just guessing .

Ayuh,... True enough,.... But,....
About 10 minutes after shutting boat off power streering is empty and fluid running out of the boat hull drain.

A Gusher like that,... You Ain't lookin' hard enough.....

mia9516

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any luck getting this resolved? I have a similar issue and I believe fault lies with the power steering assembly, however, i'm not 100% sure yet.

scutty83

Cadet

Have you checked the seal around the power steering cylinder ram? I have a the same problem w/ my Volvo SX outdrive and thats where I found the leak. Still havent fixed yet as they say the unit is unservicable. I will found out this fall when I take it to a hydraulic shop...just dont let the pump run out of fluid or you can damage the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.