water deflectors

wsatas

Recruit
I am new to boating we just purchased a 2006 tuscany 24 ft pontoon with a 90 hp honda motor the boats seems like it takes a lot of water on the deck was wondering can you change the water deflectors or by adding a 3 pontoon would solve my trouble ,the water just comes over the boat in gets you soaked even in calm water .

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: water deflectors

I would check for water in the logs. Sounds like it's sitting way too low in the water for that model boat. Should normally rest well above the water..

Jeep Man

Commander

Where are you getting water? I get water on the back "swim platform" area, but have never got water anywhere else.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

As stated, check for water in your tubes, sounds like you may have a leak which makes the boat sit too low.

You shouldn't be getting water on the deck in calm water, even underway that isn't normal.

If you can get it on a trailer have someone drive forward a few feet ten stop suddenly then listen to the tubes, if there si water you will be able to hear it splash around.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

As stated, check for water in your tubes, sounds like you may have a leak which makes the boat sit too low.

You shouldn't be getting water on the deck in calm water, even underway that isn't normal.

If you can get it on a trailer have someone drive forward a few feet ten stop suddenly then listen to the tubes, if there si water you will be able to hear it splash around.

Yep. And once you have it on the trailer take it to a GOOD aluminum welder if you do hear the telltale sloshing. He will pressure test the tubes and fix any leaks for a lot less than you think. If you end up doing that make sure he knows what he's about though. Aluminum welding is tricky. If this is water in the toons is anyone else incredulous that a 2006 Tuscany would have this problem? I guess it has a lot to do with how the toons were treated by the seller. I drain a gallon or so of water from each toon when I return from a day on the lake (think they call it suntracker syndrome), but I'm waiting until the end of the season to get them fixed since mine sleeps on a trailer. Hopefully it won't get worse before then.:eek:

blakeeasley

Recruit

I have a 20' Monarch with a 90hp Mercury 2 stroke...I drain about a gallon or so out of each pontoons every day its on the water. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not LOL. There is a drain plug on the back of each log, so it is easy to drain them, but I wasn't sure if I needed to get it checked out or not. If it was just one of them I would know it was an issue, but being both it seemed somewhat normal. I did notice that at the top of both pontoons there is a 1" or so pipe coming up that I assumed was for some sort of condensation ventilation? Maybe water is just splashing into these little pipes?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Shouldn't be getting any water in the toons, but if you're only draining a gallon per tube per day it's not a big deal as long as you don't leave it in the water all the time. You might want to get it checked though. Pressure test and repair won't cost you that much. Okay, I'm curious. Can you post pics of the 1" pipe? Not sure what that would be.

EasleyLife

Cadet

I'll post up some photos when the sun comes up tomorrow. They are close to the center of each 'toon and it just looks like it is used for ventilation or something. I've never seen them on different pontoons before.

I'll get the logs checked out by someone...not really sure where to take it though. I'll see if I can find a solid aluminum welder somewhere close to me (North TX)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I thought everyone in Texas could weld!;)

EasleyLife

Cadet

Here are some photos of the "pipes" ... Upon closer inspection I saw there were two for each toon, each about 1/3 of the way from the ends. My friend says he thinks they are used for pressure testing since all four of them are threaded. And I measured and they are 1"

Also, they might LOOK like they are some sort of PVC or plastic, but they are all aluminum and are welded to the 'toons. They are white because the dumb*** that had the boat before me decided to paint the logs with some sort of ugly epoxy that I haven't been able to get off. I have never had a problem removing any sort of coating from anything because I have a 3500PSI pressure washer that pumps 5.3 GPM and has a 200 degree heater on it. It didn't even budge this stuff... I tried aluminum brightening acid, superstrong degreaser, paint thinner, and some blue gel from Home Depot that is supposed to remove epoxy. The gel started loosening it, but it would take FOREVER to use this stuff with as thick as this guy caked it on. ANYWAYS, needless to say I wasn't happy about this.

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yeah, people can do all sorts of neat stuff to make the next owner's life hard. I believe those are for pressure testing, and maybe for sucking out water (not sure). Are those plugs as loose as they appear? If so, you might wrap the threads with teflon tape then put them back in nice and snug for a start. Certainly wouldn't hurt anything. No more Texas jokes I promise.

fastback4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very good article. I did see a 24 foot party pontoon ( with a dancers pole at the forward end ) dipping seriously forward but that was because most everyone on board was forward watching the dancing girls where the dancing pole was located. Bachelor party i believe. I also pontoon but do not get water on my deck that is unless I'm unable to net one of my big 50 pound gars I occasionally hook onto from the Ohio river and i have to gaff the S.O.B..... "A 52" gar on the deck of a 18 foot pontoon boat is now in charge of the pontoon boat"..........Tom

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Very good article. I did see a 24 foot party pontoon ( with a dancers pole at the forward end ) dipping seriously forward but that was because most everyone on board was forward watching the dancing girls where the dancing pole was located. Bachelor party i believe. I also pontoon but do not get water on my deck that is unless I'm unable to net one of my big 50 pound gars I occasionally hook onto from the Ohio river and i have to gaff the S.O.B..... "A 52" gar on the deck of a 18 foot pontoon boat is now in charge of the pontoon boat"..........Tom

Okay, how did they mount the dancing pole? I've been laughing about this one all morning.

fastback4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, how did they mount the dancing pole? I've been laughing about this one all morning.

How the pole was mounted was not the question, because my wife did not let me get close enough to see how it was mounted. She simply looked at me and said "Right turn Clyde"........lol

lncoop

Vice Admiral

How the pole was mounted was not the question, because my wife did not let me get close enough to see how it was mounted. She simply looked at me and said "Right turn Clyde"........lol

I love it! Thanks for the laugh.

EasleyLife

Cadet

I haven't been to the boat since I took the photos...I'll check to see if they are loose. They don't look loose in person, but after you said that I took a look at the photos, and they look very loose according to the pics LOL.

I'm having them pressure checked soon. I tested them out: had the boat in the water for three days straight and the right 'toon only drained a tiny little bit out...maybe a cup or two. The left one on the other hand drained out about 2.5-3 gallons. There is a fin that was missing when I bought it (the inside fin on the front part of the log) I think this is to help with deflecting water from powering the bottom of the deck while driving and also to prevent the nose from scooping water on a sudden stop. Anyways, there isn't a visible leak on the weld where the fin USED USED to be attached, but that is probably where the leak is. Anyone know where I can get one of these? I assume I'll probably have to get it fabricated and installed by the same guy that does my pressure testing.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I haven't been to the boat since I took the photos...I'll check to see if they are loose. They don't look loose in person, but after you said that I took a look at the photos, and they look very loose according to the pics LOL.

I'm having them pressure checked soon. I tested them out: had the boat in the water for three days straight and the right 'toon only drained a tiny little bit out...maybe a cup or two. The left one on the other hand drained out about 2.5-3 gallons. There is a fin that was missing when I bought it (the inside fin on the front part of the log) I think this is to help with deflecting water from powering the bottom of the deck while driving and also to prevent the nose from scooping water on a sudden stop. Anyways, there isn't a visible leak on the weld where the fin USED USED to be attached, but that is probably where the leak is. Anyone know where I can get one of these? I assume I'll probably have to get it fabricated and installed by the same guy that does my pressure testing.

Could be leaking there, or you could have a bunch of little leaks all over. I suspect that's what I'm experiencing. Your welder will probably just fabricate and attach a new splash guard. Shouldn't be too much. Then again, you know what they say. BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand.:(