Damper Shock Replacement

LNK-Boat

Cadet
99 EZLoader/Larson Trailer, I want to replace the damper. How does this actuator/coupler disassemble? The rear pin slides out and it would appear that if you disconnected the brake line and pulled the forward pin, the whole assembly would slide forward and out. How is the forward pin removed?? I have removed the snap rings but it refuses to push out. The forward pin goes through the damper and spins freely. Bigger Hammer??

Attachments

• EZ.jpg
    EZ.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0

LNK-Boat

Cadet
Re: Damper Shock Replacement

Thank you! The manual helps a great deal. It appears that the pin is seized on the inner bushings?? and I need to PB Blaster and a bigger hammer. I am sure it needs to be bled and the MC may be bad as well. I can move the actuator by hand.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I can move the actuator by hand.
That's not a sign of a bad damper. You need to investigate a little to see what is wrong though because it could be that the wheel cylinders are the culprits and are leaking, could be the master cylinder or could be all of the above. Last on my list would be the damper.

LNK-Boat

Cadet

Both wheel cylinders show very minor seepage. Not wet, just dirty, no sign of major leakage down the backing plates. The MC appears to be slightly low.
I can see seepage on the what little I can see of the damper, but not enough that it is coming out the bottom of the actuator. This boat/trailer is new to me in the last year and I believe it has spent most of its life sitting unused as the boat was dry-stacked at a marina.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Both wheel cylinders show very minor seepage. Not wet, just dirty, no sign of major leakage down the backing plates. The MC appears to be slightly low.
I can see seepage on the what little I can see of the damper, but not enough that it is coming out the bottom of the actuator. This boat/trailer is new to me in the last year and I believe it has spent most of its life sitting unused as the boat was dry-stacked at a marina.
You can try bleeding and see if that helps things but my experience is that ANY seepage is MAJOR seepage for wheel cylinders. Just to reiterate, being able to push in the actuator does nothing to point to a bad damper.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Any leak is a bad leak in the brake system. Fix this first! As far as the damper goes, it should feel very stiff in it's motion, much more so than a regular shock absorber. But before you go through the effort of beating it out of there, look for the obvious clues such as leaking oil, rusted shaft etc.