Help with my great buy - 1976 15Hp Evinrude

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
A guy posted a 1976 15Hp Evinrude for sale for $50.00. He said it worked well last summer but a mouse ate through the cover and chewed the big black wire coming from under the flywheel to the coils.

Would anyone know the part number for the wire/s that plug to the coils and how difficult it might be to fix. Would the flywheel have to come off? Is there any trick to changing it or fixing it?

Do they sell new covers for motors like this?

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Re: Help with my great buy - 1976 15Hp Evinrude

It would appear that only the ground (black) wire that comes out from under the flywheel to a bolt on the engine, was chewed. It still has about 40% of its strands but I should probably replace it.

When I review my motor diagram from the BRP site, they don't specifically identify this wire with a part number. Is this just some kind of standard wire? How would I identify it to my dealer so I get the right type? Would it work with only 40% of the wire it originally had?

AlanR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personaly I would soilder on a new peice of Simalr gauge wire and reatach it to the block, Some people might disagree and say replace the whole wire, But my way would work.

Rick.

Captain

Totally agree with AlanR. You will have no issues doing a repair on the existing wire. What a deal you got there. Here is a link you should have a good look at. Not for your problem but great for general knowledge of your motor. Best of luck. Rick.
http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Ramblings.html

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I am going to need to take off the flywheel anyways. Will I be able to see clearly where this ground wire should be soldered/connected to? I have never fixed one of these before.