Replacing Beams(stringers)

GraphicsGuy

Recruit
I have a 1987 Baja Force 216. I found the deck rotted out from underneath from trapped water. While cutting it out, I have found that the two beams / stringers that run the length of the boat are rotted out also, there are a few placed were the fiberglass is not closed up or cut for fuel fill lines to pass through, and not sealed, these places allowed water to get in and get trapped in the wood under the fiberglass.

Now I need to replace the decks and the two beams. ALthough I have with many materials. I am not a boat builder and I am looking for any and all advice on replacing these beams. Are they one piece or sistered? what is the type of wood? Any information would be great, I am sure we can do the work, but I want to do this right.

What is the importance of these beams, are they structural to the hull or are they just to support the decks?

Has anyone done this? Pics?

I am not sure if the rot extends to the part of the beams the motor mounts to, do I have to replace the whole thing or can I just replace the forward 3/4 of this beam?

Thank you for any input you have.

tlzimmerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Replacing Beams

Those "beams" are called stringers...and most boat restos on here have work done to the stringers, including complete remeoval and installation. Now that you know what they are called, a couple searches or just general looking on the forum will show you what to do. Normally they are rebuilt with plywood, many times they are longer than an 8 foot sheet, so have to be laminated together somehow.

They are both structural for the bottom of the boat and to support the deck.

Good luck.

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What is the importance of these beams, are they structural to the hull or are they just to support the decks?

Both. Most importantly, they provide added rigidity to the hull, and in most cases they support the deck.

Has anyone done this? Pics?

This has been done and is being done by lots of guys here on the forum. Use the search function and do some reading, well, do lots of reading. There are quite a few threads with lots of pics.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replacing Beams(stringers)

I rebuilt mine using plywood. Chances are, you are probably in for a new transom if your deck and stringers are shot. Check out "oops" hull extention thread as it's more then everything you'd ever want to know about a boat.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing Beams(stringers)

I'm replacing mine. I think your boat is a small performance cuddy as is mine. Check the link below. The hardest part is cutting out the old stuff and grinding the hull surface smooth.