yamaha f150 throttle lever tension

stevel34

Cadet
I have a 2004 f150 and I have to keep my hand on the throttle to keep the rpms steady. If I take my hand off the lever the rpms start dropping. Is there anyway to adjust the tension so it will stay in one spot? I have two manuals but can't find anything to adjust it .
steve

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: f150 throttle lever tension

Boy am I confused! My 1997 F150 has a foot throttle! :eek:

F'real, this is posted in the outboard section, but you're asking about an F150 throttle lever. Perhaps you could provide a little more detail about your problem and the vehicle it's on?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

cant have a 97 F150 with a hotfoot.
Yamaha didnt make the F150 in 97.
steve
now we have to know if you have a 6x3 flush mount,a 703 side mont or a 704 binnicle mount control box.
pictures will help as there are 2 versions of the 704.

stevel34

Cadet

It's a 2004 yamaha f150 four stroke and it has the single binnicale control. The manuals all have instructions for the side mount but can' find anything on top mount.It has the trim switch on the top left of the grip and the neutral button on the bottom if that helps
steve

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: yamaha f150 throttle lever tension

two 704 boxs, the standard and premium.
on the standard remove the 4 screws holding the cover on,you may break them but dont sweat it. remove the cover.
on the aft lower edge you will see a pencil eraser sized stud with a screwdriver slot. turn it clockwise to tighten tension.

on the premium box,look at the center,lower aft edge, if it has a rubber plug about 1\4 tall by about 2 " wide remove it and the same stud with a slot is there.

stevel34

Cadet

rodbolt, thanks for the info I tried to remove the 4 screws and I think they might break .Why do you say don't sweat it? are they easy to fix? Looks like I have the standard box. would it be better to drill a hole in the cover to access the screw?
steve

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you can try to drill it.
or simply snap the screws.
its only a trim cover the help keep water out and cosmetics.
it also has four plastic dimples to help hold it in place.
if you really really want to replace all 4 screws it will cost ya 50 bucks or so.
myself I would snap off the screws and if your worried reinstall the cover with a bead of clear silicone.