1989 40HP Johnson - adjustment screws

JoeW80

Cadet
Hi,

I have labeled a picture of my engine with letters... could someone tell me what the labeled adjustment screws are for?

I would like to find the adjustment so that I can slide it into gear without it stalling. At the beginning of last season, I was able to gently put it into gear but by the end of the season it would stall unless I pushed the throttle further.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 40HP Johnson - adjustment screws

You should NOT shift gently. Do it briskly, unless you're fond of replacing gearcase parts.

JoeW80

Cadet

Thanks for the tips wilde1j and tashasdaddy...

I think what you said would help tashasdaddy, but I get the feeling that the problem I'm having is related to an adjustment.

Last season, I had the same problem until I took it to the mechanic and he made an adjustment. But it seems like something loosened up gradually... seems like I have to push the throttle further before I start moving.

JoeW80

Cadet

Tashasdaddy,

I just wanted to let you know that your tip led to me finding the problem.

I didn't want to just replace the fuel lines if they were good so I decided to inspect them. I noticed that one of the lines was being pinched between the starter and another component. I'm guessing that it wasn't originally routed this way but after using it and bouncing around, it must have squeezed in there.

I routed it properly and I haven't had any problems since. Thanks!