Advice on Stainless Prop

nrladeere

Seaman
I purchased a used stainless prop for my Volvo Penta outdrive. It does not appear to have the rubber insert like my aluminum one. It has a bronze bushing with splines. Is this the normal setup? Am I giving up too much protection without the rubber insert? I assume the bushing will give, but I am not sure of the engineering. It is stamped Made in Mexico>>>

beckerdg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Advice on Stainless Prop

If you hit something with a solid hubbed prop like you described the part that gives may be your outdrive. If that happens you won't be limping home and when you do get there the repair may more than you like.<br /><br />Generally a rubber hubbed prop should spin before serious damages occur to items other than the prop. When it does you will likely still be able to limp home. You can get a rubber hubbed stainless prop under various names. <br /><br />However I have heard people say they "spun" their prop and did not believe they hit anything. Had to take it and rehub it...

beckerdg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Advice on Stainless Prop

After looking at your post it was not quite what I thought I read. Not sure about a bronze hubbed prop either. I don't know if it performs closer to a solid hub or spins like a rubber one.