88 Johnson 40HP convert VRO to std. pump

hat_trick_rick

Recruit
Hi-
Need advise. I have a 1988 40HP Johnson Motor with a disconnected VRO pump. There is some gas leakage traceable to the vicinity of the pump (on top/around). It could be the connectors or a gasket on the pump. I am thinking it is best to simply replace the pump with a standard pump. Presumably, I'd have to pinch some of the lines permanently closed? What is the correct pump #? Is there a more reasonably priced after market pump to put in there? Details please, including any specific instructions, much appreciated. Thanks!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88 Johnson 40HP convert VRO to std. pump

Go to the BRP parts site: http://shop.evinrude.com/

Navigate to the catalog for the 1988 Johnson J40RCCS and look at the "Fuel pump and filter".

That is the alternate conventional lift pump replacement. It has superseded to part number 0438556. The aftermarket equivalent is Sierra 18-7352. http://www.iboats.com/Fuel-Pump-for...8270172--**********.692235767--view_id.174141

The pump mounts directly on theengine for a pulse. The incoming and outgoing fuel lines on the VRO will work on the lift pump if they are long enough.

Click the thumbnail.

Here's a link to Tashasdaddy's picture of a similar setup: http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/tashasdaddy/200450hpJohnsonforsale005.jpg

Attachments

• Lift pump on 40HP.jpg
    Lift pump on 40HP.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1

hat_trick_rick

Recruit

Thanks ezeke! Slight correction (don't know that it matters)- I have a 1987 40HP VRO plugged so I mix my own gas/oil. If I understand correctly, Fuel pump --> VRO --> 2 carbs, yes? You mention a "lift" pump in lieu of the VRO? Does that mean: Fuel Pump-->LIFT Pump-->2 carbs? Why do I need the lift pump? Why not just: Fuel Pump-->2 carbs? In either case, what does the fuel flow diagram look like? I have lots of connectors in close proximity to each other. Perhaps one of those is leaking and VRO is ok? The VRO is located near the carbs/air silencer and the electric starter sits vertically between the VRO and fuel pump, correct?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The picture in the thumbnail is of a 40HP motor with a conventional lift pump in place. That is a less expensive alternative to the VRO pump should one decide to use it.

There is no difference in the fuel flow; both the VRO and the Conventional lift pump deliver fuel to both carburetors and a primer solenoid through a fuel manifold with three nipples. The difference is that the VRO is more powerful and that it allowed you to use an oil tank rather than pre-mix the fuel.

hat_trick_rick

Recruit

Hi ezeke- What is confusing to me is reference to a LIFT pump instead of a VRO pump. In a non-VRO config, can't the fuel pump deliver directly to the manifold feeding the 2 carbs? In your 1st reply to me, the part #0438556 or Sierra # 18-7352 is a FUEL pump, no? That confused me. My fuel pump seems to be working fine. It's the VRO pump in place that seems to be leaking (or connectors to it). What you seem to be telling me is that I need the regular fuel pump PLUS a lift pump (replacing the current VRO), but refer to a fuel pump above. Just looking for clarification.
Fuel Pump needed = #
Lift Pump needed ? = #:D

MyWoody

Cadet

I'm in the exact same situation, 87' Johnson 40 hp vro, it sat 2 years. I bought it, changed the fuel out to 50:1 mix, replaced the bulb/fuel line, rebuilt the carbs, and switched to a mechanical fuel pump. And I can't get my rig to run... What am I missing? do the carbs need to be rejetted? What is the part number for a compatible fuel pump?

I used PN: 0438556 which was recomended by my local Johnson parts dealer... Is this correct?

Update, I kept googling and tinkering and she is running like a top... putting her out in the lake this afternoon...

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Hi ezeke- What is confusing to me is reference to a LIFT pump instead of a VRO pump. In a non-VRO config, can't the fuel pump deliver directly to the manifold feeding the 2 carbs? In your 1st reply to me, the part #0438556 or Sierra # 18-7352 is a FUEL pump, no? That confused me. My fuel pump seems to be working fine. It's the VRO pump in place that seems to be leaking (or connectors to it). What you seem to be telling me is that I need the regular fuel pump PLUS a lift pump (replacing the current VRO), but refer to a fuel pump above. Just looking for clarification.
Fuel Pump needed = #
Lift Pump needed ? = #:D

I think whet ezeke is saying is that you can replace your existing pump with the number he gave you.. In instances that your "oil" side of the vro is working you can combine the two and still get the VRO function...

In your case,,you already converted..and are premixing, so all you need is the pump he recommended in place of what you have now...again, since you already premix..it takes the place of the pump you have on there now and not that you need 2 pumps...

I'll let ezeke confirm but that is how i see it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Hi-
Need advise. I have a 1988 40HP Johnson Motor with a disconnected VRO pump. There is some gas leakage traceable to the vicinity of the pump (on top/around). It could be the connectors or a gasket on the pump. I am thinking it is best to simply replace the pump with a standard pump. Presumably, I'd have to pinch some of the lines permanently closed? What is the correct pump #? Is there a more reasonably priced after market pump to put in there? Details please, including any specific instructions, much appreciated. Thanks!

You said the VRO is disconnectd and leaking and that you wanted to replace it with a standard pump.

I don't know what you mean by a standard pump, because the standard since 1985 has been the VRO.

You then say that you want a more reasonably priced pump.

The more reasonably priced OE alternative to the VRO is part #0438556. The aftermarket equivalent is Sierra 18-7352.

I don't know how to give you more specific instructions than I have except to say that the pictures are accurate.

This link has a picture of the Sierra 18-7352, which looks almost identical to OE part # 438556: http://www.iboats.com/Fuel-Pump/dm/*******.322177724--**********.882963225--view_id.174141