Almost there

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
New user

I am about to lay down 4K for this boat - the boat is solid it is on a galvanized trailer that is in great condition - the motor is a Johnson 88 SPL that (at the moment runs and sounds good) The boat needs some tlc but has not been abused On the surface there is a bunch of little cosmetics where the owner patched with silicon etc, no big deal

I did do a sea trial with the owner yesterday

I know very little about sailfish boats but it looks good to me - In your opinion - should the motor die - would it be worth putting a new motor on the boat - I would be looking at a 115 - maybe a bit bigger (the label says max 125 hp -

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Almost there

Probably not.

You seem to think it needs a bigger motor, ?

If that's the case, and it is underpowered, then don't buy it.
There are many boats for sale out there this year.

Wait for the right one.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Actually happy with the motor-my concern is, although the motor appears to be good now I am looking to the future it is a 1995

Maybe I am over analyzing - but I am looking at today's cost plus maybe in the next year or so the possibility of buying a new/used motor- based on my research it will cost me 6 to 10k -

maybe I have answered my own question - thank you :D

insearch

Seaman

If you are concerned about spending money don't buy a boat. tell me where it is, I think I want it

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Actually happy with the motor-my concern is, although the motor appears to be good now I am looking to the future it is a 1995

HAHAHAHAHA that motor's barely broken in. Heck I consider anything post '78 as "modern-era" OMC :D

I have an '81 Evinrude 90 on my "new" boat. Had a '73 Johnson 85 on my last boat. We dumped some money into getting it running when we bought the boat (it had been laid up for MANY years) but used it for 5 seasons with no additional repairs and I sold it running the end of last season. Great motors those JohnnyRude V4s.