HELP. 4.3 NO SPARK - I have tried "everything".

incrediblened

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got no spark from a Mercruiser 4.3 V6, Thunderbolt, 1992 Maxum.

I ran through the diagnostics in the manual. Here's what I find.
  • I've got 12v at Positive Coil Terminal
  • I've got no spark on the Spark Gapped hi-tension lead to coil when I strike the WHT/GRN lead on the ground.
  • I have tried a half a dozen working coils. (The latest was off of a 4.3 with thunderbolt).
  • I tried a distributor off of a working engine.
  • I tried an alternate Ignition Amplifier pulled from a working engine. Still NO Spark.
d.

I'm only reading 10v at my battery. Would this make a difference?

I'm about ready to take it back to a regular V6 distributor with points. I've been really struggling on this one. I would take all the help I could get.

Thanks,
:confused:Ryan:confused:

incrediblened

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: HELP. 4.3 NO SPARK - I have tried "everything".

I'm also suspicious that I've got a couple of wires that I don't see homes for.

1) Tan Wire, Starboard Top of Engine - In same bundle as white/blue wire that goes to thermostat.

2) White/Blue wire, Port Rear of Engine - kinda in the same area as distributor to Voltage Amplifier wires.

Maybe this is the culprit to my spark problem???

incrediblened

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HEY EVERYONE! I FIGRUED IT OUT. (no thanks to the manual. :rolleyes:). It was the shift interrupt switch. It was grounding out and preventing me from getting a spark. (Actually, my young mechanic friends accidentally smashed the wire behind the throttle bolt - grounding it to the block).

HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE SOMEDAY... IT REALLY SHOULD BE ADDED TO THE MANUAL. I'LL EDIT IT. :)

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

GOOD FIND! Thanks for the update, this will be good for those with similar problems. Now go ENJOY the water!!