two questions on an older skeeter

C Ross

Recruit
I've got an older skeeter ('76 or '77 SS7). Is there a place where I can decode the serial number?

I'm also looking for information on how to install an outboard ('91 40hp Johnson w/20" shaft) on this boat. In particular, I need to know how high (or low) the motor should be in relation to the bottom of the boat. I'm currently losing prop bite after getting on plane and I think I may need to lower it into the water a couple of inches.

Any help would be much appreciated!

C Ross

MBender

Recruit
Re: two questions on an older skeeter

I'm not an expert but I can tell you to look at your title for the serial number; this always stays with the boat. Once you have that, you can cross reference it with the BMV or possibly Skeeter themselves for information.

About the engine, two ways you can do it: get a jackplate and mount it on the boat; second, get in touch with Skeeter and ask them what stock engine was on the boat originally and find out what the original shaft length was for the stock engine. Add or subtract the difference; most likely you will have to lower the engine you are trying to put on.

Don't guess though; if it is too low, you'll get more drag and you could damage the lower unit if you hit something in the water.

Just some ideas.