Alpha 1, gen 1 transom leak

chrisg00

Cadet
Ok, so I've had the boat 4 years now. Only thing I've done with it is drive it and enjoy it, TILL this spring. I decided this year it would probably be to my best interest to do some general maint to it, replace drive pump, engine water pump, 3 bellows boots, zinc's, and 5/8" hose in gimbal housing for water supply to engine. Rather do a little routine maint then be stuck out in the ocean!
So, after all that, about 800 bucks later, I dropped it the water this morning and I heard a little water trickling into the bilge(it was dry so was easy to notice). When I peeked in, I couldn't see where it was entering from, very tight back behind the engine. I kept it in for most of the day, close to the ramp and was trying to find the leak. Enough water to kick my bilge on every 5-7 minutes for approx 20 seconds. I couldn't see where it's coming from. It wasn't coming from the drive shaft area so I ruled out drive bellows. plug was in the transom and it never leaks out the water in the bilge when i'm on the trailer, so thats out. I know it must be very low as I noticed you couldn't hear it anymore when there was more then 1" in the bilge.
When i pulled it out and brought it home, i pulled the outdrive (6 bolts and disconnected the trim tabs). There was NO water in the drive bellows which I thought anyway, just a little trickle in the exhaust however it may have gone in when i took it off.
I did notice the zincs that go on the bottom bolts to the transom were loose. I'm not sure if they would cause water to enter the bilge. They are the two zincs on each side of the drive, left and right lower, which thread on to the bolts. If they are not tight, will that allow water to enter? If so, how tight do they need to be, they are soft, zinc?

Any help would be most appreciated!!!!!:(

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Alpha 1, gen 1 transom leak

the bolts maybe corroroding away i woul pull the zincs and check out the bolts.

could be a rotton transom or bad rotton transom assembly.

tacconelli6

Seaman Apprentice

Are you sure your shift cable bellows isn't leaking?
Could it be a leak from the y pipe of your exhaust?

Is your exhaust unusually loud? maybe an exhaust leak?

reefkrazy

Cadet

I have the same problem. I found a peanut size hole where the red circle is in the picture. It's leaking into the steering assembly hole then coming out next to the exhaust elbow...

hole.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please don't reply to 2 year old threads.